Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

help on turtle deck construction

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

help on turtle deck construction

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 08:41 PM
bldrums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on turtle deck construction

I need to build a turtle deck and am thinking of hollowing out a block of balsa with Dremel and sanding and covering. I would think it would be as light as sheeted frame work and just as smooth. Anyone tried this method?

thanks Bill
Old 05-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Shihtzutan

Haven't tried that, but it should work. That sounds like the expensive way though. I’d use a block of foam skinned with a brown paper bag; I'd also embed a balsa spine for added dent resistance.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:45 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

You can do that, but it will be difficult. The easiest way would be to shape some foam with a sanding block or hot wire cutter, and sheet it. It will take less time, and be very strong, yet light. Wings on many planes are done this way.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:56 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

We used to make fine looking control line models that way in the late 40' and 50's. There is a modeling blade available from Micro Mark and others that is a circle that fits in the large handle of a hobby knife. We used to make a U shape of the fuselage, attach a suitable balsa block and shape to the contour wanted and then remove and hollow to a satisfactory thickness. Top of the foward fuselage the same way. Cowling can also be made in this manner. The weight will depend on the balsa you use. The biggest advantage is there are no sheeting lines or gaps.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:02 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The way a Great planes Supersportster is done is easy and light. It is done with 1/8 by 1/4" balsa
strips. these are supported about every 8" with a half moon shaped and notched support. Then you cover directly on the stringers with no sheeting. This is easy and lookes good to. The turtle deck will have a neet shape
with the stringers raised through the monocoat. later daveo
Old 05-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Dzlstunter

Another option is planking. This has the desired effect of giving a uniform final "skin" thickness which is hard to achieve with a carved and hollowed block. Make a series of supportive bulkheads, strip some "planks" of your choice thickness balsa, and start cutting them to fit. Start at the fuse/deck joint and add strips on alternate sides so that you "meet" at the top with pieces that are matched on both sides. Use a sandable glue such as Sigment (old style cellulose glue). Works on any irregular shape, and not to be avoided because of the cut and fit program. Just take your time and use lots of pins, tape, whatever, as you go. I'll try to attach a pic of a turtle deck done that way. Good luck, Dzl

Well, I can't seem to get the attachment done. Sorry, Dzl
Old 05-31-2003, 11:18 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could afford a huge block of balsa to hollow out!

Like Daveo said...the bulkhead/stringer construction for a turtledeck is really nice. Light too....

You can take it a step further and sheet over the stringers with 1/16 or 3/32" balsa if you like.

Research a few models that use those types of construction and just duplicate it to suit your needs.

Good Luck!

'Nite