Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Easy painting tent.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Easy painting tent.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy painting tent.

I have been having alot of problems with dust and overspray in my garage. I use my garage for everything, like woodworking, fixing the cars, and the dogs are in there when they eat, so dog hair gets everytwhere. I was wondering what you guys do when you paint your planes to prevent excessive dust?
I was thinking of putting some hooks in the ceiling, and getting some 8x10' plastic tarps with the holes on the sides, and hanging them to just set up a walled off area in the middle of the garage for painting, and preventing overspray. Has anyone tried this? How well will it work? I don't really have any money to set up a really nice system like some guys have with air tight ventillation and filters etc.

Patriot
Old 05-06-2004, 09:34 AM
narpets

Default RE: Easy painting tent.

Well I basically do what you do. I don't have dog hair to contend with, but a lot of road dust on the garage from all the crap that accumilates on the cars from when they cinder the roads when it snows.
I just sweep the area where my "tent" will be. Use small bungie cords to hang some of those blue tarps with eyeletts in them. I just use the rails for the door as places to attach. I don't go for those 6 foot deep miror finishes, and this works well for me. Keeps the overspray from getting all over the windows and walls, and it's easy to take down/setup. Cost was nothign as I already had the tarps, and bungies .
Old 05-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Kaos Rulz

If you don't want to spend money on the tarps, you can get by cheapier by buying construction plastic in large rolls at Home Depot, or Lowe's. This plastic is opeque and often used to seperate one work project area from another. The nice thing about this plastic is that you can also use it as a protective cover when building on top of your plans. Similiar to the Great Planes "Plan Protector".
Old 05-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Whether you use a "tent" or some sort of walled of area or not, you will want to wet everything down. It doesn't have to be soaked! Many folks use a large spray bottle and mist everything to make sure what dust there is stays where it is and isn't kicked up by the compressor, or your feet, or dragging the air hose, etc.