Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My First Turbine Jet Flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My First Turbine Jet Flight

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 06:07 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Turbine Jet Flight

Today I flew my Super Reaper for the first time. A few weeks ago in Austin, I had the maiden flight performed by David Reid to make sure the Reaper was air worthy. Due to a small mishap on the second flight during landing, I was not able to have a go at the sticks that weekend. My first flight went very well and all I can say is - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!! Out of all the planes I've flown since joining the hobby back in 1989 I must say turbine jets are the best flying planes around. The response and control they offer is second to none. And the sound of course probably the best thing about them.

I'm hooked!

JR Gautreaux
Old 05-05-2004, 06:22 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: My First Turbine Jet Flight

Congratulations JR I know you had a great time, and will have many more successfull flights.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:23 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

And you didn't even mention the stick time you got on my Facet!

Man did we wow the local club. Most of them had never seen any kind of jet, and we flew JR's Super Reaper and my Facet 2300 and EuroSport. We burned up 5 gals of kero. I know.... that's not much for some of you, but it's the most I've ever flown in one day. I got 3 flights on the Facet and 2 on the EuroSport.

JR,
Congrats on your first turbine flight and we're going to have to start buying kero in larger quantities.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeeehaaaw!! Congrats!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:01 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

congrats JR!

i guess that means you and gary are gonna have to make the mississippi afterburner now!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 PM
jetflyer

Thanks David, Gary, Shaun, and Pat. This flight was long overdue. It was 3 years ago that I purchased David's old Ram 750 and due to the travel requirements of my job, I was not able to do much building on the Reaper. But it certainly was worth the wait, even though now I wish I would have joined in the fun much, much earlier.

Yes, Gary, I did forget to mention about the stick time I got on your Facet 2300. The Facet is a great flying plane and I would also recommend it to anyone wanting to move up to turbines. Gary came right over the runway, dropped the flaps, and the Facet slowed down and landed nicely. I wish my Reaper did that. It felt very good and stable in the air, hats off to Kerry... you designed a good jet.

Gary and I made history in our club by being the first to fly 3 different turbine jets in one day. Next on the list will be having 2 turbine jets in the air at the same time. The members are having a good time watching our jets and it is a chance to bring this side of our hobby to others. Most of them only have read about turbines or seen a flew fly while attending an event.

Pat, I'm trying to get things sorted out so I can make MS Afterburner. If I do get to make it, it will be a quick trip. Leave early on Friday morning and stay til Sunday morning. I know it will be a lot of fun.

JR
Old 05-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you JR and congratulations on your maiden. I had the opportunity to test fly a MR-Super Reaper last year and found it to be a very nice flying and honest airplane as well.

I trust you will have many hours of enjoyment in this realm of the R/C sport.

Best Regards:
Old 05-06-2004, 06:40 AM
jetflyer

Kerry,

Thank you. Yes, I do like my Reaper, just need to get my landings down with it. I'm using a little bit bigger engine that it really needs, so the residual thrust is almost enough to keep it flying on by. Besided that, I really like the way the Reaper handles. It is a great flying jet too.

I was quite surprised to see how slow the Facet can fly. It makes it very easy to bring into the field for landing. Like I said before, great design and good flying jet.

JR Gautreaux
Old 05-06-2004, 04:30 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Congrats JR.... Life as you know it is now over! The addiction starts to set in [X(]
Todd
Old 05-06-2004, 04:50 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd I send you a PM
Old 05-06-2004, 05:15 PM
jetflyer

Todd,

Thanks and you are right about it being addictive. I was out driving around today to meet some clients and the day was perfect for some turbine jet action. I was tempted to reschedule and head to the flying field. I can't wait until Sat. when I can make it back to the field.

JR Gautreaux