Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Airplane Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 04:58 PM
thebigreddragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane Engine

Can i fit an airplane engine into my t-maxx? i was thinking that they would provide a lot more power than any truck engine because you can get .90 engines and stuff like that.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Jocke88

Default RE: Airplane Engine

there has been a recent post to this question either here or the plane forum. Fact is that a plane engine is a four stroke and have lower rpms. Read the post it hepls loads!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

not a good idea, unless you have another two stroke next to it
Old 05-20-2004, 08:22 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jocke88

there has been a recent post to this question either here or the plane forum. Fact is that a plane engine is a four stroke and have lower rpms. Read the post it hepls loads!
Airplane engines come in 2-stroke, 4-stroke, Wankle (rotory), and Turbines

The way it works is the bigger displacement the lower the RPMs Gererally, But with more Torque,
So If you can get the gearing right and solve the Cooling issues, then Sure why not, it would work.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Unstable

there are two main diffrences between air and car engines.

a: cooling. air based engines are assumed to be traveling through the air at a high rate so the cooling fin area is smaller. heli engines don't travel as much so have enlarged cooling heads were as car engines are under the body and not moving as fast so have the largest.
b: the RPM range. a airplane engine is designed to go between ~2000 - ~17,000 some car engines are cranking over 30,000. so the high end power will not be there.
other then that they are the same engine.

the .46s in some trucks are supposedly (only know from heresay) modified heli engines.

four stroke engines are used in some RC truck uses. the OS .40 is one popular model to use. OS also makes a 4 stroke .26 specifically for cars.

this has a RPM range from 2,200-12,000 (acording to the OS site) so you need to gear it up alot. BUT what you get is alot more low end torque out of it then a two stroke. (the LHS built a all aluminum custom tmaxx for a customer. even with all the weight and geared real high the FS-40 would wheelie with ease.)

the troubles of useing a airplane engine would be mouting it. cooling it.. then starting it (not many can be converted for pullstart.) but if you can go for it. should be interesting.