Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

timp gadge??? or no

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timp gadge??? or no

I just got my first nitro (The SS of corse) and was wonting to know do I realy nead a timp gadge or not? Anny help would be gratly apreceated!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:51 PM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: timp gadge??? or no

i use a temp gauge whenever i run my trucks. i just want to know the temp and it helps my tune my trucks so thay don't over heat. but i don't always go by temp i see how the truck is running and use temp as a guide line for tuning.i have 2 t-maxxes and don't want to buy another motor , and watch the temp and tuningvery close after a couple of runs i check the temp and adjust as i need.but a temp gun is a good idea as far as i'm consered. use one it will save you from getting a a new engine sooner than you want it helped me.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Twobeers

Its nice to have, but if you have some limited intelligence and good sense you can easily survive with out it.
Simply put some spit on a couple of finger tips and pat the top of the cylinder head. It should be hot. But not so hot that you can't lightly touch for a second or two. If you instantly hear sizzling sounds like bacon frying and smell burnt flesh one could safely assume that its a little too hot. If you smell burning metal, its way to hot. Tip, pat the head first rather than just pressing your fingers right on the head.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:44 AM
speed lives
My Feedback: (1)

Yea its definatly a good idea if this is your 1st nitro, you can get a duratrax temp guage for like 30$
Old 05-22-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the replys. I will probably pic one up monday.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:41 PM
rdmonster

I have one and though I used it alot at first I dont so much now. The finger thing works ok. Its not a bad choice at all but it can be lived without.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:29 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

it helps me a lot in tuning ..radio shack has one for 24bux i think