Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

ZOOM 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 01:08 PM
opfor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZOOM 400

Was wondering what the overall opinion is of the zoom 400 and where I might find one. I noticed they don't come with everything and was wondering what the best radio, gyro, esc, and servos to go with? Has anyone gone with a brusheless motor in one.? Have found a few on ebay but all overseas. Have flown the aerohawk for a while but ready to upgrade and from what I've read this is a good one to advance too. Any suggestions or websites would be much appreciated.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:29 PM
parabellum

Default RE: ZOOM 400

tower hobbies say they will be offering shogun begining June.

just have to wait and see if they get them on time.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXHCD5&P=K
Old 05-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Old 05-22-2004, 10:42 PM
opfor

Thanks for the tip Boyd. Noticed at rc groups you had a big article on the zoom, shogun, and dolphin. Was wondering how long you've had yours and is this a good bird to move into? Is the shogun any different from the zoom? I saw a lot of problems but also solutions on the page so I'm concerned that maybe this is not the right one for me. Any suggestions on where to buy from? thanks
Old 05-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Hoverup

Old 05-23-2004, 07:49 AM
jbalat

Since we are mentioning Fung where I actually bought mine... I may as well mention Tedani at www.Tedani.com where I have recently been getting my spares. He only charged me $20 for a set of blades and $2 to send them to Australia. Not bad, and they got here in 7 days. He has not had time to update his website for the zoom but he has it in stock so you will need to email him.

Fung charges a lot more for shipping and he sent me a 1300mah unmarked (no stickers or ident) lipo battery instead of the 1800mah one that I had ordered, to his credit I did not get back to him and do not know whether it was a mistake or not...

Anyway I really love my Zoom(Dolphin). Its much more professional than the cheap micro helis. I have had a little problem stripping teeth on the rear plastic tail gear but there is a stronger one out now and they are very cheap anyway. I wish I had the confidence to fly it. I was up doing circuits only a couple of days after I got it (with 6 months experience on the dragonfly). I had a small crash and now I tremble when I get it to a hover...
Old 05-24-2004, 05:08 AM
DurhamFlyer

Hi
Can someone help me out here?
I have just bought the Zoom 400 with the standard protech electrics pack along with a few spares and upgrades (brass pinions, spare blades, upgraded tail input gear, spindles etc).
So here I am, i have the kit, the servocs,the gyro, the receiver but no TX and crystals.
What TX should I get? Will I have any compatibility issues with the standard pico receiver provided in the protech electrics pack?
Should I be looking to buy a new radio set and change the receiver ptovided?
I am looking at the Hitec Eclipse QPCM 7 and it does come bundled with a HPD-07RH receiver. Will this receiver fit the Zoom?
Appreciate any help and advise
Alan
Old 05-24-2004, 08:26 AM
jbalat

Any 7 channel Heli Transmitter will do the job as long as the radio is tuned to the same frequency band and you have matching TX and RX crystals...
Old 05-24-2004, 08:33 AM
DurhamFlyer

Thanks for that!
Will post some feedback when I get her in the air
Alan
Old 05-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Neil Guildford

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my zoom 400 last week at Sandown Model Show. I've put a Hacker B20 15L motor in it. Wow, what performance. I'm using a thunder power Li Po 3 cell 1320 MAH pack and am pleased with the duration (about 10 mins maybe more)
I'm using a schulze receiver and castle creations speed controller.

This setup is very good with plenty of power in reserve. I hovered it straight away and started circuits before landing tail down and stripping the tail gear. At £3 each its not the end all, but inconvienient, so I've stuck a stab on the back to stop the tail blades chopping the ground.

My question is what throttle/pitch curves are people using?

Neil
Old 05-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Neil Guildford

Anyone thought about painting the canopy?
what paint would you use?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47417.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	136743  
Old 05-29-2004, 12:30 PM
AlwaysLearning

Got my Zoom 400 today along with the protech electrics pack that goes with it.
(very eager)
I have an Eclipse 7 QCPM TX and crystals.
I installed the servos, gyro, esc and bnasically checked all the gear meshes etc.
Looking good so far (very impressed with teh build quality).
Anyway decided to pop the crystal in the protech rx and check the motor, servos etc.
This is where I have a probpem. the whole system is dead not even a flicker on the servos.
I have charged the Lipo pack (I know this is ok).
I changed my Eclipse from QCPM to PPM (for FM rx).
But nothing![:@]
Can anyone help me out there???

Have I missed something obvious?

Can anyone tell me what receiver channels the servos and ESC connect to??
I set them as follows:-
1 - roll
2 - pitch
3 - ESC (and i guess power to the rx)
4 - Yaw
5 - Gyro
6 - Pitch (up & down)
Have I made a major mistake?

Oh I also checked the RX that came with the Eclipse, connected a few servos and no problem working fine.

Is it a compatability thing? If so what MIcro RX do I need to get???

Please help a bloke keep his sanity!!!!
Alan
Old 05-30-2004, 02:08 AM
Neil Guildford

You've set the channels up correctly. It sounds like a crystal issue. Maybe the receiver crystal your using is not compatible with the receiver.

Neil
Old 05-30-2004, 02:39 AM
AlwaysLearning

Thanks Neil
So can anyone tell me what type of crystals are compatible with the RX provided by protech in the electrics pack?
Alan
Old 06-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Mr Hover

Hi,

Hope this is not 'Grandmother' and 'Suck eggs' time but.....

Dual Conversion RX + Dual Conversion RX Crystal + Dual Conversion TX Crystal = OK
Single Conversion RX + Single Conversion RX Crystal + Dual Conversion TX Crystal = OK
Single Conversion RX + Dual Conversion RX Crystal + Dual Conversion TX Crystal = No Good

If you fly a nito heli you should have a dual conversion RX & TX set-up, the Zoom has a single conversion RX so you just need to buy a single conversion RX crystal same frequency as the TX.

Hope it helps...
Old 06-03-2004, 05:13 PM
bmw330i

Hi All,

I bought a Shogun after watching some clips on the web. Have an AeroHawk. Not even in the same league. I have yet to see anything so nice as the Shogun. I can't wait to fly. I am just taking my time getting it setup properly from the start.

I guess I bought it from reading posts here and finding everyone was sold out. eBay had an auction for kit that went for 230.00. I called Hobby-People and 600 people were on the back-order. They said there was 1 at the Hobby-People near me so I drove down and got it.

I bought to put in it:
- Hitech Eclipse 7 QCPM TX with the cool channel synth thing
- Micro receiver Hitech compatible 6 channel (forgetting name right now)
- 4 Hitec HS-55 servo's
- Ikarus mini Gyro
- KoK1500HC-3S-DNS LiPoly Batt.
- 25A speed controller (forgetting name now I'm at work)

Little things they didn't mention or I fogot/needed:
- Servo Tape
- wire bender if you use their wire pushrods (z bend tool)
- connectors for bare wire on speed controller to connect to LiPo pack
- heat shrink tubing
- extension for gyro lead to receiver. when mounted in position they say it won't reach.

That's the highlights. I'm learning how to program this TX to Heli. Reading the instructions in Hitech Book is confusing. Saving the setting you push two buttons at the same time and for one thing you get a beep...no idea if that is good or not and for other settins no beep...not sure if it saves it or not.

I like that the BAtt powers the receiver using channel 3 from the speed control lead. that's not well explained. I guess and Idiots guide to Setting this thing up is in order. It's my first programmable TX and first shot and setting up this complicated of a Heli since I built one 10 years ago (.30 glow powered).

To specifically answer this orig. topic. I have so far been extremely happy with this purchase. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. If you want cheap get an AeroHawk and learn to hover inside/outside with no wind. It's damn tough considering and there is enough info on this site to help you get going. I personally think just get the stock kit. Add LiPo 2 cell pack and stick to that. If your Gyro goes out do what I did and buy a PiccoBoard for it and keep flying. Upgrading the main motor was a fiasco. Now my tail rotor can't keep it from spinning...if you want something a step up and are willing to pay for it I'd highly recommend the Shogun or it's clones. I haven't even flown it yet but know from putting it together it's quality. The videos show me in the right hands it's a great flyer.

I'd highly recommend it (Zoom 400/Shogun) by all means.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:26 PM
00boto

a little of what the zoom 400 can do....

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t1112...highlight=Zoom

Old 06-08-2004, 02:47 PM
rbentley

My main complaint right now, is that parts are difficult, if not impossible to find.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Hoverup

www.hobbypeople.net
Old 06-08-2004, 09:41 PM
meb48

Also Xtreme RC (http://store.xtremercproducts.com/ ) but at the moment, EVERYBODY seems to be out of the EVO-165190 tail output shaft w/ gear - the one that strips so easy.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:45 AM
WOS
My Feedback: (62)

there is a metal gear replacement i read it on runryder i believe in the protech zoom site. it's 30 dollars an expensive but last time you will strip a gear for sure
Old 06-27-2004, 07:13 PM
watt_the!

this might not be the best place to post this...but here's my dumb question.

i had a minor rotor strike that slightly bent the mast. I have a new mast but cant for the life of me work out how to remove the bent one...

Tim.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:49 AM
Neil Guildford

If you look at the manual, there is a page showing the contruction of all the major components.
I too have replaced my mast and it isn't that difficault.
Disconnect the ball links at the hub, which are connected to the paddles and pitch.
loosen the 3 (poss. 4 I can't remember) collects on the mast, with an allen key
This includes the one at the bottom on the pitch servo
remove the bolt clamping the top parts to the mast (part no. T0500.003)
pull off part T0500.003
The mast is stiff but pull it upwards out
unscrew metal rod from mast

reassemble, and remember to use lock tight/nut lock.

Depending on how hard you went in you may find that you also need to change part number T0500.021. I found there was alot of vibration in the hover until I replaced this part.

Good luck
Neil
Old 06-28-2004, 03:14 AM
watt_the!

oh no....i couldnt get the auto rotation sleeve to come free...every allen key i have doesnt fit it...

anyway, i wish this post'd come sooner.... i couldnt figure out how to do this so my heli is bascially disassembled now....mast has been removed!...lol...

i cant see how you get the mast out without removing the main gear...does it just pull out?..

sigh..

Tim.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:18 AM
Neil Guildford

Once the colletts are loosened it is stiff, but yes it pulls out. You may need to use grease to put the new one in.
Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.