Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

I Really Dislike the Nitro Star S-25 engine

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I Really Dislike the Nitro Star S-25 engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 05:34 PM
slago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Really Dislike the Nitro Star S-25 engine

Can someone who has had this and then something aftermarket please tell me if life will get better/eaiser? This grumpy little engine is like a brat that I am sick of dealing with. Anybody with experience with the new RB 28? How about the Picco .26? How do they compare to the ease of tuning of the stock 25 and how well do they keep their tuning?
Old 05-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Puffnstuff

Default RE: I Really Dislike the Nitro Star S-25 engine

Well what I can tell you is that for over 4 gallons my s25 was like a well behaved child and then we started experiencing behavioral changes. At just over the 5 gallon mark I said that enough was enough as it was leaking badly through the backplate onto the start shaft and making my one way slip as well as leaking around the head shim. I broke down and ordered a mach 26 and got an xtm 24.7 pro backplate/oneway/starter shaft so I could mount my rotostart onto it and I'm glad that I did. The difference is like night and day and the mach makes the s25 look super lame. Even with sidewinder 20% fuel my mach will wheelie all day long which is exactly what I want from my wheelie queen. I'm waiting for my gh alloy diff cups and megatech gear boxes to come in from tower so I can rebuild them again to hold up to the power of this beast. I've also got a supply of tranny and other assorted parts just in case more things start letting go from the power being put down now. If you're tired of your nitro star then why not consider a mach .26 which has 2.75hp?
Old 05-31-2004, 05:52 PM
Wizz Kid

whats wrong with your engine?
Old 05-31-2004, 05:53 PM
slago

Well, It's funny you should say that because my real plan was to wait for my LST to come in. Break in the Mach 26 that comes in that. Move that to my Savage and put a Novarossi 28 in the LST when they come out. I just don't know if I can wait that long. The real motivation came today because I ran two tanks through my Savage today and finally had to give up because it started running hot. I tried retuning it and finally gave up when I noticed that my POS carb is spinning in the neck again. This has been an ongoing problem. For the record, I had my local track "Pro" tune my engine last time I was there and he commented what a cantankerous litte beeawch it was, so it's not just "my" opinion.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:24 PM
Puffnstuff

Well you might consider using gasket sealant around the carb and tighten her back down to stop the leak there. If your temps are getting out of hand you've got an air leak somewhere. The s25 on my sons truck runs consistently around 250F while mine ran nearer to 290F. Like I said before I had an air leak around the head shim which caused most of my problems but I got tired of messing with it everytime I wanted to drive it so I got a new engine. I do like the composite carb on the s25 as it doesn't hold heat like the all metal carbs do. That heat leads to hard starting if you should stall the engine while it's hot and tends to vapor lock the fuel line.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:52 PM
slago

ORIGINAL: Puffnstuff

Well you might consider using gasket sealant around the carb and tighten her back down to stop the leak there. If your temps are getting out of hand you've got an air leak somewhere. The s25 on my sons truck runs consistently around 250F while mine ran nearer to 290F. Like I said before I had an air leak around the head shim which caused most of my problems but I got tired of messing with it everytime I wanted to drive it so I got a new engine. I do like the composite carb on the s25 as it doesn't hold heat like the all metal carbs do. That heat leads to hard starting if you should stall the engine while it's hot and tends to vapor lock the fuel line.
I have disassembled and sealed with high temp silicone sealant already. That helped a bunch. But it is still moody. The metal sleeve on my carb neck turns and so my linkage gets screwed up. So what you are saying is that the stock S25 engine is easier to tune and run than all the aftermarket engines?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:10 PM
sn0wrider
My Feedback: (1)

try an XTM 24.7 2.6hp 31000rpm for only $130..it rips ars
Old 05-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Spudnik

if i am correct, and i know i am puff n stuff get he mach for 139 too, and it is a better motor. also, how easy is it to tune the mach compared to the s25

thaks
Old 05-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Puffnstuff

The mach is just as easy to tune as the s25 seeing that they both have two needles. I love my mach, it kicks major butt and yes it was $139 at stormer hobbies. I would've bought it at the savage central store but they were out at the time and I needed my fix real bad. Any two needle carb will be easier to tune than a 3 needle carb.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:07 PM
SS Nitro
My Feedback: (-1)

Get a wasp .26, easy to tune, very powerful.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:34 AM
slago

ORIGINAL: Puffnstuff

The mach is just as easy to tune as the s25 seeing that they both have two needles. I love my mach, it kicks major butt and yes it was $139 at stormer hobbies. I would've bought it at the savage central store but they were out at the time and I needed my fix real bad. Any two needle carb will be easier to tune than a 3 needle carb.
I have noticed other posts with references to avoiding Stormers Hobbies. Is there a reason I should try to avoid them?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Puffnstuff

I've always had good service from them so I don't know why anyone would say otherwise.