Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Brand new Savage - still smells fresh

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:26 AM
tinwarrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Savage - still smells fresh

Just goy my savage last night, brand new to the world of nitro and Im gonna go out and try starting it to idle through my first tank today at lunch.

Here's a few of my questions already!

- had a heck of a time getting the batteries into the truck...any tips?

- how long can you usually run on a set of 12 batteries? and do you guys have rechargeables or just keep buying?

- how long does it usually take to idle through your first tank?

- to break in the engine, the manual says (after idling a tank through) to run her in a 20 ft oval pulling the throttle to half and then coasting to cool the engine down. How much cooling is actually accomplished in the few seconds before you have to pull the trigger down again? - seems a little fishy to me.

Thanks for any input you might have... here's hoping it goes well with me!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Puffnstuff

Default RE: Brand new Savage - still smells fresh

Batteries: Takes some patience and is a learned skill but you'll get the hang of it. Also rechargeables offer more amps than alkylines and are more cost effective.

Yes you should follow the break in instructions as the driving in the oval is to break in the drive train. The rich settings on the carb are what cool the engine during this process. I would encourage you to go over to savage-central.com and read up on all the threads that pertain to this subject so that you can be well versed before you begin breaking in your new toy. Just remember that the savage is very addictive in a good kind of way.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
wakbrdr

Once you get use to puting the batteries in it wont be so hard anymore.
If you have good batteries(Duracell or other high quality batteries) you can usally get about 2-3 hours from them. Many people put rechargable batteries in their remote and rechargables in the truck or either a rechargable pack.
It probable will take 30mins-1hr to idle the first tank.
These engines are air cooled so when you let off the throttle and let the truck coast the air cools off the engine some and kepts it from running hot
Old 06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
DKD

puffnstuff iv just been reading your sig and it says that you have the tsais pipe fitted. wot do u think of it? wot doe it do 2 your performance?

tinwarrior i would advise that you carfuly follow you breaking instructions and dont get aggrivated if it doent start first time. i had to change my mixture settings alittle for it to start.

cheers
Old 06-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Puffnstuff

DKD the tsais took away from my low end when I was running the s25 with 20% but when I switched to 25% I had good low end again. With the mach on 20% I've got the wheelie queen that I was looking for. Since it's the only pipe that I've run on it I can't comment on how it compares with other pipes but I have all the power I could want with it. Initially I had the pipe turned down and it sprayed my right rear tire and control arms instead of the chassis. Now I run it pointed outward and it only lightly coats the right rear tire on the treads on not the inside like before. I love the sound of this pipe not to mention how cool a real side pipe looks.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:27 PM
tinwarrior

Great. This brings up another question... should I trust that the factory needle settins are correct and just go fire it up now, or should I make aure they're right first? If so, HOW?

thanks again
Old 06-02-2004, 12:30 PM
wakbrdr

the factory settings should be fine
Old 06-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Puffnstuff

If you've got a temp gauge then I'd keep an eye on the temps just to make sure that it doesn't overheat. Also make sure that lots of oil is coming out of the exhaust and you'll be fine.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:14 PM
tinwarrior

Well, got through half a tank, I'll have to finish the rest tonight.

Is this what is supposed to be happening...

It runs relatively slow at first start then slowly (over the course of about 3 or 4 mins) revs faster and faster then dies. Im assuming its leaning itself out.

Is this correct?

and is it a problem to not run an entire tank at a time while you're breaking it in? Hope not 'cause its too late now...
Old 06-02-2004, 03:48 PM
wakbrdr

as the motor loosens up it will rev up faster. It shouldn't cut off, you might have to play with the needles a bit. since it was on the first tank it shouldn't hurt anything, you might want to start completly over though. Always try to stop after finishing a step, not in the middle of it.