Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Tower Kaos conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:18 PM
wakewatcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Kaos conversion

I've decided to try my hand at electric power. I have a new tower kaos arf ready to install power and thought before getting it all gunked up with glow juice that I would try epower instead. I've spent the better part of the day trying to figure out motors/esc/bec/lipoly etc and haven't come to any conclusions yet. So I'm looking for some help. I was thinking about something that could be driven by the thunderpower 8000mha li-poly and would like something simple and cheapish/value with regard to motor. (direct drive?) I'd like something comparable to an OS 46fx in performance. Anyway any help would be appreciated. Thx -steve-
Old 06-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Kaos conversion

On a plane this size, you're going to spend at least as much on the motor and ESC as you would on a high-end 4-stroke engine. The plane's power requirements are much higher than your typical el-cheapo 540 car motor can handle. Sure, it would fly on the Kyosho Endoplasma/GD600/10-tooth pinion/3S LiPoly setup, but I don't think you'd like the performance.

Larger brushed motors really aren't that much less expensive than brushless, and when you start replacing them, the overall cost can easily exceed that of a brushless motor. Brushless is maintenance free, and allows you to go with lighter, more efficient solutions.

My personal recommendation is an AXi4120/14 on a 4S LiPoly with a 13x8 APC Thin Electric prop. You may need to extend the gear legs a bit, but that's modeling.

Edited to add:

Check out all kinds of glow-to-electric discussion in the Glow to Electric Conversions forum!