Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HYPERFLY APACHE 4 CHANEL CONVERSION

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HYPERFLY APACHE 4 CHANEL CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:34 AM
biltong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HYPERFLY APACHE 4 CHANEL CONVERSION

[sm=rolleyes.gif] Hi guys, I want to convert my Hyperfly Apache to a 4 chanel Heli, I was thinking of a GWS Electric Ducted fan for the tail, I have a 4 Chanel Remote for my Dragonfly.
And maybe a reciever and head holding gyro off ebay as well as replacing the cut out with a remote engine cutout.

Has anyone done this or anything similar ?
Would a change of motor and battery be recommended ?

Hey guys thoughts and tips please.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: HYPERFLY APACHE 4 CHANEL CONVERSION

It would not be worth the time and frustration. Not to mention the money. Just buy a micro heli and put the apache body on it. I really don't know how you would overcome the fact that there is no swash plate really and no collecive pitch on it.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Jerrykl720

that is my idea ! but I don't have a hyper fly or the one u have
I just tell people to convert! but one thing u need a high rpm and high toq motor for the tail

Jerry
Old 07-02-2004, 02:53 AM
biltong

[8D]Thanks for your contributions guys
Old 07-02-2004, 11:24 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

I have just recently started flying a modified hyperfly, I really like it. Initially I watched the video and assembled it, what a waste of time I thought. The most irritating thing was getting the blades to track, they just wouldn't do it. I found it to be my fault for using a mega brushless, way to powerful for those plastic coated foam blades, even though it is a direct replacement. It sat for 3 weeks while I pondered just using the parts to make a gyrocopter. I gave it another shot, but with a 7.2 V spd 400, it was an easy mod. I had to just file the mount holes inboard slightly and shim the pinion with some brass tubing to fit the smalled spd 400 shaft. The blades easily tracked, just a little tweak. For power I used a 3S lipo, but it really only needs a 2S, it stays in the air on a windless day at 5V. On a breezy day it's really fun, especially with the ESC I installed instead of the cut-off switch, it makes landing so much easier. I can hover to the ground and ROG, thats really fun. Whats also nice is reducing the power to only whats needed to stay up, extends flight times too. It does also make things easier on windless days, I can bring it in for a landing much easier. I bought another set of landing gear for wheel installation, really makes more sense than skids for this model...rrrrrolling ROGs! I also used HS-81's instead of standard servos, the flying weight is 1 lb 4oz.
I think I'll try the ECO-Lite before I try another Hyperfly, just for the larger size, the hyperfly quickly disappears within a short distance. Anyways, I have slowed this heli way down before the vertical stabilizing paddle loses effect and the heli starts spinning. The same tailrotor set-up used on the GWS dragonfly's should be enough to cancel the torque, you'll benefit from a mixer board controlling the tailrotor. Other improvements may be to use a different set of main rotor blades, I hear the Eco blades worked well. I may try something lighter, like the Piccolo or dragonfly blades.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:21 AM
biltong

Thanks, I am going to have a busy winter sorting this out, I am looking forward to it though.