Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Safe to let run out of fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:37 PM
ch2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to let run out of fuel?

I noticed the manual says you can also stop the engine by pinching the fuel line (as opposed to blocking exhaust) but to use that only in extreme cases because it can make the engine run lean and damage it.

Does this mean I also shouldnt run the truck until it runs out of fuel or is it safe to run it 'til the tank is dry and let the engine stop from fuel starvation?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 01:50 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Safe to let run out of fuel?

i take off my shoe and poke the flywheel with it. or i just let the engine run completely out of fuel.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 PM
supernova803

Pinching the fuel line will cause the engine to lean very slightly but won't cause any damage to your engine. You can let the engine run out of gas also just let it sit and burn off the last few drops instead of driving it around.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:15 PM
pbmax

Yup, as a general rule I try to run my nitros out of gas every time I run them. Excess fuel sitting in the engine and carb can cause corrosion (rust!). And yah, it doesn't run lean long enough to cause damage if you stop via pinching.

I learned the hard way not to stop my metal-muffler 1/8 buggy by blocking the exhaust with my finger. The burned-in ring shape on the tip of my finger faded after a couple of weeks!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:35 AM
RC_UK

i take off my shoe and poke the flywheel with it.

lax195 you must have really skinny shoes!