Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Main Rotor Blades - How Tight ??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Main Rotor Blades - How Tight ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:35 PM
jt_aus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Rotor Blades - How Tight ??

Hi All,

I am just after info regarding how tight the main blades should be. I run my E-Sky with fairly firm blades (they still move if they strike anything). With this setup, the heli has no wobbles or vibrations, and lifts of really smoothly. Only problem is the constant need to re-tighten one or both blades (if one is loose and the other firm, I get vibration).

I have been told to have them really loose so that they self align as the heli spins up. I did this, and the heli flew OK, but is more prone to boom and canopy strikes at spin up and spin down, as the blades move which cases them to be out of balance, and they flop onto the airframe.

I feel the stiff setup is better, but am just after a bit of advice or comments.

Many thanks,

Justin
Old 07-03-2004, 07:39 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Main Rotor Blades - How Tight ??

Do you eat your soft boiled end from the big end or the little end?
People have been arguing the benefits of both sides of the firm blades/loose blades for a long time.
I like mine firm enough that a smooth spoolup does not disloge them, but loose enough that they still self center at higher RPM.
The plastic blade grip bolts that came with my Piccolo always loosened. So I replaced them with 4-40 bolts. I tapped the blades with a 4-40 tap and thread the bolt up from underneath. This also gave me a way to attach my home made head stiffener.
I don't know if this is a solution that will work with your heli or not though.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:29 PM
coltech

The simple answer is to run them the way that works best. I've found that my Hummingbird can be run with fairly loose blades, but my Aerohawk likes it's blades nice and tight or it gives me a dose of the dreaded "death wobble".
Old 07-08-2004, 10:50 AM
jt_aus

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Answers a question that was bugging me.

I tend to run my main rotor blades fairly tight (not tight.. tight, but firm), and the heli is really smooth. They still fold if I hit something, but stay in place at low RPM.

Only time I get the "shakes" is if one blade is looser than the other.

Cheers,

Justin