Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Micro Heli Selection Help For Veteran Gas Flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Micro Heli Selection Help For Veteran Gas Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Heli Selection Help For Veteran Gas Flyer

Hi all, I'm new to the electric heli hobby, and I'm considering buying a Hummingbird. I used to fly gas helis a long time ago, to include a Hirobo Shuttle, a Kyosho Concept 30, and a Schluter Champion .60. I could fly them around okay, but never mastered nor attempted any aerobatics. However, I haven't flown a helicopter of any sort in about 8 years. Would it still be a wise move to start out with a fixed pitch model even though I've never flown one? Also, I have a Futaba 8UAPS set up for airplane use though it has a heli program menu. The only difference is the ratcheting throttle lever. Will this present a problem? And finally, can someone recommend some high quality onboard gear that I can use in the Hummingbird with my existing TX? I'm thinking FMA direct microservos and FMA LiPo packs. What RX/Gyro/Escs do you recommend? Thanks for your time and patience with this potential newbie.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:14 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Micro Heli Selection Help For Veteran Gas Flyer

Hi Tommygun,
The micro helis will be much more challenging than the IC ones you flew. Brother #1 has both, and he says that his IC heli is WAY more stable. (but IC crashes cost more than an entire electric kit)
The hummingbird is a good heli. I have a buddy who has one and it is well behaved. My family has a fleet of Piccolos, which are also well behaved.
You will want to remove or disable the ratchets from the throttle. You can start out without doing this, but as soon as you get to the point where you can hover, you will be frustrated with the hover point ALWAYS being between detents on the throttle. Some people sand down the detents. Some bend the spring that rides on the detents. I guess it depends on the internals of your transmitter.
I do recommend this flight package:
Futaba gy240 head hold gyro
GWS ICS100 or CC Pixie 7P main ESC
High frequency tail ESC (Schulze slim 105he or Trec)
3 cell LiPo packs, 1000 - 1200mAh
I also recommend that you start with a FP model. For you, this is not as strong a recommendation as I make to the others, but FP is so much more forgiving when it comes to crashes. After you get through the hover, buy a CP kit and transfer your electronics (plus one servo). The cost of the FP kit iwll be less than the cost of replacement CP blades that you will certainly go through if you try to start on a CP bird.
If you want, shoot me an e-mail or PM and we can exchange phone numbers. (gotta love free long distance) I'll be able to answer questions and explain choices easier over the phone. Or ask more questions here and I or any of the others will give you more info.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Tommygun

Just found this-

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGLK6**&P=0]Kyosho Micro Heli[/link]

I just learned about this new Kyosho bird that seems to have everything, and looks scale too! In addition, Tower now has several new helis listed to include one made by Helimax. Should I hold off on the Hummingbird? This just muddies the waters.....
Old 07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
justin_92_92

I have heard great things about that kyoshi helicopter. I have seen great video on it too. I would check to see if parts are availible first. I know I am now going to look into it. I have a 2 jabo's which is a humming bird clone and I want another different bird to try out. thanx for posting this by the way.