Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Desert Aircraft - Best in Service!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Desert Aircraft - Best in Service!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:05 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desert Aircraft - Best in Service!!!!

A while back I had what was a fuel problem on A DA-50 that slowly evolved into an ignition problem. I had low voltage in the ignition battery and this evolved into flooding the engine and fouling the plug. I changed the plug and recharged the ignition battery and all seamed OK after resolving the operator related errors with no fault to DA.

I had repaired the minor damage from a DS and was getting the airplane prepped for our Big Bird event when all of a sudden I had all kinds of problems again, and another DS - no damage getting her down this time. The DA-50 wouldn't idle and it would die for what appeared to be no apparent reason. The problem seemed to be intermittent with nothing consistent to grab hold of. I adjusted the carb to factory settings and then tried to lean out the low end and then went to the rich side. Regardless of where I set the needles, either high or low, rich or lean, she just wouldn't perform with any consistency. This had become one of those nagging problems that seemed to move around. Was it fuel or spark????

Fast forward after checking again for any fuel related issues and testing the switch and checking for spark. When I checked for spark this time it was completely dead at the plug, but the engine had been starting and it would run Ok, but then it wouldn't. After a while it wouldn't start at all.

We then checked for spark again and couldn't see or hear it popping at the plug. This time we even held the plug with bare fingers to be certain. Yes, I was desparate..... It appeared to be dead, but the battery was fully charged and we had juice from the switch. This went on from 7:40 AM Wednesday until 3:00 PM. You can imagine how I was feeling about this time and the Big Bird was two days away. I was now certain that the ignition module or sensor was the problem. I took my chances with the sensor thinking it was most likely the module.

I called DA at 3:00 PM yesterday and got Scott. I explained the problem and then asked to have an ignition module sent to me over night, and I needed it delivered to my house the next morning, Thursday. Scott said he understood my problem and that he would take care of it immediately. The ignition module arrived this morning at 11:00 am.

In removing the ignition module I discovered that one of the lead wires at the heavy duty connector had severed at the connector. I was getting power from the switch, but only getting intermittent power to the ignition module. The wire end was still inside the plug with one side making good contact and the other side just barely making contact. This explained why the engine would run at times and then why for no apparent reason it would just die, or run poorly. Apparently the single wire end was still able to make contact, at times, to get the engine running, but at certain points vibration would cause enough separation to kill the power to the ignition module.

I was certain the module or the pick up sensor was bad, but couldn't see that there was a wire problem until I removed the ignition module and began to unplug the connector. I had used Velcro with a tape backing to keep the plug secured to the firewall so it was difficult to identify the problem until I began to remove the plug from the Velcro. The wiring connection did fail at the connector, which at least now I know exactly what the problem was. I will send the new module back to DA at my expense, but without any hesitation these guys tried to help me, and in the process they helped me find the problem. They didn't give me the run around or try to debate the issue with me. They did exactly what I asked them to do.

We were able to solder the single wire end back to the connector and insert the connector back into the plug housing. I used the originalt ignition module and the engine ran better than it had ever ran before. Here I was thinking all along that the rough sounds and performance I was getting was the results of breaking the engine in with a 32-1 mixture. No telling how long this problem had been developing. I flew the Pitts and put her through the paces and was very happy again with the product. I can handle the fact that there was a failure in the connection. Like I said, at least I now know for sure what the problem really was. What I am post pleased with is how DA really tried to assist me when I really needed their help. As Dave has said, "we give you the engine and you purchase the service". These guys lived up to their great reputation with service action. Thanks Desert Aircraft!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:44 PM
deputydog

Default RE: Desert Aircraft - Best in Service!!!!

HERE! HERE! Salute!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:51 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I have to agree, they raise the bar some far ahead of the competition I can't imagine spending my hard earned money with another engine company! Glad you got your bird back in the air!

Joe
Old 07-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

They are the best when it comes to customer service and support. Hands down they go way out of their way to help.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:24 AM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

They have allways been there for me as well. Great bunch of guys!!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:31 PM
rfw1953

We just completed our Big Bird Fly In and I am one happy camper. The DA 50 performed flawlessly. What a difference it makes when the engine is getting a good spark. I had no DS's and the engine now idles down so slow that the Pitts will sit on the runway without me having to hold the tail. Getting the idle down really helped a great deal to get set for take off. Now well into Amsoil 100-1 with a noticeable difference in performance.

One guy suggested that I put silicone into the heavy duty plug to help dampenthe effects from vibration. IMHO, when I used Velcro with a tape backing to secure the the plug out of the way to the firewall this just increased the possibility for a failure at the connector from vibration. I was trying to keep things neat and out of the way and created a potential failure point in the process. Sure enough this is what happened. Ok, another lesson learned.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:00 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

they always have been...
Old 07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: rfw1953
As Dave has said, "we give you the engine and you purchase the service". These guys lived up to their great reputation with service action. Thanks Desert Aircraft!
Are you sure Dave has said that? I think Dave is to modest to say that about himself, but just about every DA customer, like yourself, says it he he. I am about to run a DA150 in a 3m Extra, and in a few weeks a DA100 in a 2.6m Yak, I can't hardly wait.
DKjens
Old 07-12-2004, 11:34 PM
rfw1953

DKjens - wow, sounds like you have good reasons to be excited. Good luck with your new engines and planes. Post some photos when you have them finished.

Here is the proof of service in action. Photos from our Big Bird event this past weekend. Thanks Desert Aircraft. You made it possible for me to have a great time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44841.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	153109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19972.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	153110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15041.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	380.4 KB