Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 - Edge 540 - wing break

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hanger 9 - Edge 540 - wing break

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 01:31 AM
springfield111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 - Edge 540 - wing break

O.K, they fixed the wing first time around, but mine just broke at the 3rd rib. I was taking her easy on it's maiden voyage, when all of a sudden, we all heard "POP". It then started going all crazy on me, I managed to turn it around and try for the field, to no avail. Full left aileron wouldn't keep it from rolling right. I got it about 5 feet off the runway, and the thing dropped. Ripped the gear out, and the wing is now in 2 pieces. The "pop" we heard was the wing failing in flight, under some pressure. After seeing inside the wing, it's a wonder this thing made it out of the basement, without falling apart. There's no glue on any rib, shear web, or spar, from #2 outward. The only thing holding it together was the covering. I've got a message off to Horizon, but I get nothing.....Let's see how there customer support is now.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:58 AM
jlchapman
My Feedback: (5)

Call Them, my email message was answered a week later!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:54 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend that you call Horizon Hobby and tell them the issue. They should help you. That have with others in the past
Old 07-19-2002, 12:52 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

well thats not good
Old 07-19-2002, 01:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And people ask me why I call them "BARFs"
Old 07-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Clive

Springfeild111,
I know it is no consolation but when I tried to get a replacement wing for my (ex) 540 direct from the factory in Bangkok they took an age and a half to get one sorted for me! Even worse they took about three months to furnish a canopy! Several visits to the factory did no good either. Bearing this in mind, I hope you have more success with the distributor. As an aside, once you get it fixed up let us know how it flies. I have posted elsewhere in the forum about the inflight behavior I experienced and would like to know if you have a similar experience.

Clive
Old 07-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Shortman

sounds even better! lol
Old 07-20-2002, 02:44 AM
flyindoc
My Feedback: (8)

Well, I just got one from my LHS and it is one of the new ones with the GOOD wing. I will say that the fuselage has ample epoxy throughout. The wing went together well, but I obviously can't see past the covering. The joint is very tight and the wing joiner is 1/2" thick and about 15" long. I'm don't plan on glassing the center section, I really don't think it would add anything to the strength. I will put 50lbs of weight on the center of the wing to see if it holds, just for peace of mind. I believe it should do ok. If it breaks, I'd rather it happen at home in a controlled environment vs in the air where my engine and radio gear can get destroyed.

Andy
Old 07-20-2002, 03:34 AM
MalcolmL

Default H9 wing

Andy - 50 pounds on top of the wing centre section huh ? What's that - about +3G or +4G ?
Clive, would it help if your contact at "the factory" knew that they were being discussed (disparaged ?!) on RCU - an internet discussion forum with around 8000 members ? Would that move them up a notch or two ? What thread was that "up-flip" on ?
MalcolmL
Old 07-21-2002, 03:55 PM
springfield111

Well I have everything back together. I rebuilt the right wing half and added more internal structure. I'm all ready for it's second flight, hoping the second goes better, than the first. I did notice though on the first flight, this thing was hopping like a rabbit at Easter time. UP and Down, hard to keep it at a level flight, even after I had it trimmed. I didn't get much time, before the big "POP", maybe 25-30 seconds. She balances perfect at 4" behind the leading edge, and my throws are very subtle. It's raining outside here today, up in the cold northern climate. (37 degrees celsius, or 105 F. for you lucky guys who get to fly year round).
Old 07-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Shortman

Hot weather sucks I tell ya, its usually 100's here in fresno during the summer.

One week for 7 days strait we had 105+
Old 07-22-2002, 12:31 AM
springfield111

I like the hot weather, here in January, it's -40 F, now that's cold. No use for air conditioning then. Then the snow, 2 or 3 feet. We fly from end of April, to late October, if the snow doesn't come too early. Long days in the summer though, I was flying until 10:00 p.m a week ago.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:27 AM
springfield111

O.K, now it flys like it should. I've got one word for new pilots to this plane. LOW RATES, this thing doesn't need hardly any deflection on aileron or elevator. Only problem now is, more power. I had a S/T G3250 on it first, but low and behold, it loaded up and quit in mid air, I didn't like that on a new plane. So I put in my reliable 2500, but now I barely have enough power to do a roll, let alone do any vertical maneuvers. I ordered a Perry Carb today, hope this solves my mid-range on the G3250. Has anyone else had experience with these Perry Carbs? I hope I did the right thing, by going with it. All the threads say go with it, or the O.S carb. The fellow at Perry knew what I needed, before I got the whole sentence out, he knew what I was talking about. Any response from someone who has used this Perry carb (#5001), on a 3250 would be greatly appreciated....Thanks..
Old 07-25-2002, 08:06 AM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Default Gasser

I have a H9 Edge with a Saito 180. Flys great but the fuel costs a bunch.

I have a Brison 2.4 on a Dynaflight Decathlon which is a great combo.

Has anyone put one of these engines on a H9 Edge?

Thanks for any replies.

RSN
Old 07-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Shortman

Finnz put a BME 50 on his and come sin at 15 pounds but flies like you wouldn't believe. PM him, he has videos of it and a nice site to go along with it.