Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WARNING!! GP Giant Scale PT-19 landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WARNING!! GP Giant Scale PT-19 landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 06:39 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING!! GP Giant Scale PT-19 landing gear

I am a very disappointed modeler! I had placed great hopes in the Great Planes Giant PT-19, matched with my new OS-FS91 II. The combo matched great, and the PT flew like a dream-until the landing gear failures began. The gear legs are the conventional 'Z' shape with one leg of the Z forming the landing gear strut with the other, shorter leg bent up and pressed into a hole in the wing at the inboard end of the gear mounting channel. It is this leg which MUST be restrained against landing loads. Mine became unrestrained to the point that they freely flopped fore and aft. Contact with Great Planes was totally useless;in the contact's view that since it was an ARF, they knew nothing that might have caused the failure, and offered no help at all.
I opened up one side of the wing in order to see how a fix might be affected. To my deep disgust, I found that the 'hardwood' block which formed the mounting channel had split. Further investigation showed that an additional block designed to restrain the short, 'anti-rotation' leg was unglued and loose!! I'm sure that the other gear has the same defect.
I have been supportive of ARF's place in our hobby, however shoddy workmanship presented by one of the preeminent names in our hobby is sad. I cannot as yet come up with a fix for this lousy workmanship-so what was a lovely addition to my enjoyment of this hobby is ended!
Old 07-18-2004, 06:33 PM
davidmor

Default RE: WARNING!! GP Giant Scale PT-19 landing gear

IMO, that particular design for landing gear is poor at best. I built a Sig Astro-hog several years ago and it had the same design. I was very careful to epoxy it together per instruction and epoxied the anti-rotation block to it so it looked to be very strong. First landing on a grass field the gear snapped the block in half along the grove and the anti-rotation block along the grain. I ended up re-building the attachments. On that one I built plywood supports around it and blocked those with triangle stock. If it breaks now, it will tear half the wing off with it. Every plane I have built since then that comes with that setup get a new scratch made gear block. The parts that come with the kit go directly in the trash can. I build mine out of light ply laminated together around the wire. I haven't had one break yet and I fly off of grass.

I also am like you in my opinion of ARF's. I don't like the idea of not being able to see what someone else did, and I like my planes to look different than everyone elses. Also there is satisfaction in spending a winter building a plane and watching it leave the ground for the first time in the spring. Nothing feels better than going to the field with a new plane and have the guys ask "What ARF is that?" and tell them that it isn't an ARF, I built it myself. For some reason, my planes get a lot more attention from the other pilots than the guys who bring ARF's to the field. I bought my first ARF two weeks ago after 18 years in this hobby. I only did it because I destroyed my 27% extra that I built last winter and wanted something that size to get back in the air before the flying season is over. I ended up with a GP Patty Wagstaff Extra. I have to say, I am very impressed with the quality of the plane. My opinions of ARF's has changed a bit, but I still will be building my planes in the future.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:02 AM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

Hookemut, You might have a faulty one. I have a friend that has one and I have seen him make landings so hard that the pilot figure fell out. But the airframe was completly intact and the landing gear was still strong. hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Brylee

as much as I hate to admit it I made a landing that was so hard that the landing gear wire snapped but the block stayed in place.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:39 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Well, it stands now at 2-no problems with the gear, 1 (me) wiped out. IMHO, I don't care for the odds. I firmly believe that with even moderate care for the assembly, the odds of enjoying a model for the dollars spent would be greatly improved! Fixing the resulting mess is just that-a mess!
Jim
Old 07-19-2004, 01:42 PM
strong

I had this same problem with the blocks on my pt-19.I had to remove the covering and re-glue the blocks back in place.It's not hard to fix at all and only cost about 10 buck's for a roll of yellow mono-cote.I might have loosen them while trying to install the landing gear because the holes in the blocks are to small for the strut wire.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:12 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks, Hooke. I just flew mine for the first time yesterday. I'll be on the lookout for problems. Best of luck with yours. If you fix it, please post the results.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Marine_S7

I too have a PT-19 and will be fixing the landing gear before the wing half's go together.

Some time ago when the Super Sportster ARF cam out i ran into the very same thing it was my first flight with it and was setting it down on are grass field as soft and as pretty as can be, couldn't be any softer and the gear folded right up the wheel pants put holes in my wing i was very disappointed to say the least i put epoxy through the holes and fixed it the best i could and flew it the rest of the year like that was ok after but from then on before i put the wing half's together i load up the landing gear blocks through the wing root to support the gear it works and saves head aches later

but you are right i think the ARF builders should pay more attention to the gear area of their ARF kits
Old 03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
duke

Arfs are Arfs....that means you have to strengthen certain areas...my PT-19 blocks seperated as well....no biggy....cut a hole through monocoat..some 30 min epoxy and put patch of yellow monocoat....done. No problems since...and some of my landings are considered "arrivals".
Old 03-04-2005, 08:00 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

In another thread, I mentioned having one ready to go without any changes to landing gar. After reading this, I may do the same as I did on the Sig Ryan STA kit. It also had landing gear weakness. I beefed up the attachment in the wing and added a strut. iThe strut was a diagonal in line with the gear. Attached to wing with a hardwood block epoxied in place. This seems pretty stiff, but it will keep the gear from folding or tearing out.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: davidmor

Also there is satisfaction in spending a winter building a plane and watching it leave the ground for the first time in the spring.
Then what's so bad about spending half a Saturday beefing up known problem areas in ARFs? Landing gear construction/materials and firewalls on any ARF should always at least be checked / inspected.