Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Li-pos a bomb waiting to go off?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Li-pos a bomb waiting to go off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 12:40 AM
camra88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-pos a bomb waiting to go off?

I've read an article about how good li-pos are and the dangers of using them. Just how dangerious are they? I would like to get one for my micro heli, but i'm still not able to fly it with out crashing every now and again. I would think that a crash would somehow damage it, and cause my apartment to go up in flames 30 minutes later. I've read that some people put the battery in an ammunition canister when they charge it to be safe, and have a bucket of sand when they're out on the field in case something happens.

How dangerous are they? What should i know?

JP
Old 07-21-2004, 02:01 AM
marked23

Default RE: Li-pos a bomb waiting to go off?

This has been talked about a lot. I'll try to boil it down to a few simple rules of thumb. Do a search for tons more detail.

[ul][*]Don't let the battery get punctured, bent or dented[*]Don't overcharge the battery[*]Don't run the battery all the way down (below 3v per cell)[*]Don't short out the battery
[/ul]
[ul][*]Do set the charger correctly[*]Do isolate the battery from anything flamible if any of the Don'ts happen. Wait 15 min to see if anything happens[*]Do hang around while the battery charges
[/ul]

I've been using lipos for a few months now. No fires. A few crashes, yes. Some very small dents. Still ok.

-Mark
Old 07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
camra88

thanks for the info! I will do some more research.

JP
Old 07-21-2004, 06:12 PM
MUGGA

I 2nd that