Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Electric to Glow conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Electric to Glow conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Downtrodden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric to Glow conversion

I am in the process of converting my Super Impress (which was cobalt 400 powered ) to glow (O.S. Max .25). The whole project is coming together without a flaw, but I'm wondering if this might be a wee bit too much engine for this less than two pound airframe. I believe the wingspan is 42". I beefed up all the servos and will strenghten the landing gear as well. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
XS
Old 07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Electric to Glow conversion

I did that with a 42 inch ws p-51 that used a endo and gb. I used a os max .15 . Plane was just about 2 pounds without battery. Your gonna be way overpowered but it should work.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
gatreetop

Downtrodden
I converted Super Star trainer, 48" wing span. used OS25. flys great. You can always
trottle back. Better to have to much power than not enough!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 AM
aaron1989

i have an e flite mini funtana i would love to convert to glow im tired of waiting for batteries to charge. i dont see it working because surly the glow engine, fuel and tank alone is heavier than the electronic drive parts. then you sitll have to add the rec battery to power servo's
Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the right engine a glow conversion is usually lighter than electrics. A 400 electric motor has about the same power as a .049-.061 glow. It is just a matter of choosing a proper engine and to be careful with the weight of the tank and engine mount etc. The rx battery for mini servos can be really small too.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 AM
aaron1989

i dont need any super long flight times but sure would be nice to go glow i think ill try it with my funtana
Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A .061 engine and a 2oz tank will give you around 20 min flight in flight time, and a 750 mAh rx battery will last a full day...
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
1/2Atopgun

I suggest a review of my conversion before deciding on your first one. Its a GWS foamy Mitsu Zero fighter with an integral tank C*x reedy mill.
See 2 shots at my member profile page, under 'GALLERY';

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=317472

You can cover the sanded foam with dilute white glue and japanese tissue. (colored if you like)... then the foam will take lite coats of (yeh thats right) DOPE! [X(] (try this first on a foam cup).

Make needle valve and glow plug contact extensions to retain the full cowl. Be sure to provide air exits at rear of cowl.

Certainly an inexpensive ( in $ and time) intro to conversions.

PS; tip; check the decalage on the zero. Early copies were wrong.