Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Wing pulled away from fuse

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Wing pulled away from fuse

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing pulled away from fuse

Have a D&L designed 26 % Edge 540 I built. Smoothest plane I've ever flown. The design has the wings supported by an aluminum tube, with 3 dowels on each side and held together with elastic bands to hooks on each wing half. I was concerned about the elastics method as were some of my flying buddies, but that's the design and it worked great flying precision aerobatics.
Then I began doing 3 D, torque rolls, waterfalls, harriers, lomcevaks and blenders. Everything seemed fine, so I did another lomcevak and suddenly the right wing pulled away from the fuse and turned 90 degerees; plane went into an ucontrollable spin into terra firma. Luckily it is repairable, but would like suggestions as to alternate ways of securing wing and also to warn anyone with this design about this problem.
Welcoming your comments
Flyer
Old 07-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: Wing pulled away from fuse

Yeah, I would switch to bolts and blind nuts to secure the wing roots to the fuse.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:57 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I would do as Stick Jammer suggested. Or, instead of using rubber bands you could use zip-ties to keep the wings together. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:33 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

I've seen a guy in our club use a turn buckle attached to the hooks. Tighten and fly.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:15 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I use springs. Check out the spring selection at your local hardware (Ace, True-Value, etc) and you will find some very stiff and strong springs.

Works for me.

Dan
Old 07-23-2004, 06:24 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Shucks, I took the bolts out of my 33% Extra and installed hooks. I use small bungies, you can get 4 to a pack at WalMart, I do every thing in the book and some things you can't put in a book and my wings stay on.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:13 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

for my foam wings, i sink 6-8 inches of 1/4-20 nylon all thread (fully threaded rod) into the wing and glue it with 30 min epoxy. the use a piece of 1/4 inch lite ply on the inside of the fuse, and secure with a wing nut and cotter pin.

for built up wings, use a piece of 1/4 inch a/c ply on the inside (side towards the wing tip) of the wing and attach a blind nut (#6 or #8), then attach a piece of 1/4 inch lite ply on the inside of the fuse. then just bolt the wings on.

depending on plane size i would use one or two bolts per wing.

tony