Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spring Starters? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 05:03 AM
bwillhite
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring Starters? Worth it?

Would it be worth it in weight and money to have a G-38 equiped with a Spring Starter?

Thanks

bwillhite
Old 07-23-2002, 06:03 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bwillhite:
In my opinion they are not worth the extra weight at all, once you get used to hand cranking the zenoahs its not bad at all, i can crank my g-62 cold with about 5-6 flips, you just have to flip thru the compression fast or in might kick back
Old 07-23-2002, 11:28 AM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

I have used spring starters on several engines and they do the job well and are a distinct improvement over trying to start a fixed timing engine by hand.They are somewhat heavy ,require regular maintainance which means taking the engine out of the plane,and the springs will break if wound too tight by an unsympathetic heavy hand.
Im gradually switching my magneto engines over to variable timing electronic ignitions however and based on the ease with which these start,I beleive Id go with a CH or RC ignition conversion.If your budget cant stand the full blown system,switch and battery pack involved.look at the system that lowers the timing for starting only and then unplugs.Side benefits include no chance of backfire,and no need for fast flipping.
I coached a new to gas fellow club member through the starting procedure on my electronic Quadra 400 last nite,and using the choke til it coughs method he had it started in six flips from cold.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:41 PM
jlouden
My Feedback: (1)

I think the spring starter for the G-38 is worth the money and the weight. With the fixed ignition there is a chance of kick back when starting. I was using a chicken stick but got tired of replaccing cracked props. I have the B&B unit and it works great. The comment about the maintenance is true.

John