Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Walbro carb linkage hookup

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 02:00 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Walbro carb linkage hookup

how do you guys hookup your Walbro carbs ??

well it was time to install/setup my throttle linkage on my MVVS 35,,, keep in mind that the guys at the field have got me convinced I need to use ni-rod because the carb is not only on an angle it's throttle arm-plate is on an angle too,,, plus a ni-rod will not transmit RF,,,

so I sat there looking and thinking, thinking and looking, knowing all the time I wanted to keep it as clean and simple as I can get it, along with wanting to keep-out as much slop as I could,,,

keeping the story short,,, I found an linkage ball from an old RC car that had a thread that fit perfectly in the holes in the Walbro throttle arm-plate, so I attached the ball to the arm-plate, screwed a heli rod-end into the ni-rod, drilled a hole in my fire wall and it all came-out smooth and clean,,, I had to use one of the middle holes in the throttle arm-plate so it has a short throw but it's clean so I'm happy.

Jim
Old 08-14-2004, 07:18 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walbro carb linkage hookup

I hook up my linkage just like that as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41800.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	163652  
Old 08-14-2004, 09:46 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the same ball setup, but fit an 1/8" thick aluminum extension to the throttle arm to get better idle and low speed control. I use Sullivan golden rods, and tiewrap the outer sheath to the engine bearer flange. This will keep oscillations due to rubber engine mounting away from the carb (at least part of it).
Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 AM
tiredflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you find a source for the extended arm? The short standard arm just does not cut it. Awhile back I made one about an inch long out of brass but after a couple of months of flying it is getting wallowed out and sloppy. Getting the mounting hole with the side flanges cut out by hand was a real bear.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
pe reivers

Home building shops sell aluminum angle hardware etc. Makes great material to make things of.
Sloppy hole? drill it out and press in a piece of glow fuel tubing. Cut off neatly, and you will have a slop free connection.
I prefer a ball link though, to hook up a pull cable with end loop.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you got it right, at least in my eyes. I have and would use the same set up.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
pe reivers

It sure is the easiest way to do it. Sometimes it needs a pulley or 90° lever to negotiate corners.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do sell some nice metal control arms you can use on the carbs. There is a guy on that other large forum that sells these in the engines section too. I use them on my engines and planes too. But you can use a model airplane nose wheel steering arm to good effect for a throttle arm too.