Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

aerohawk won't lift off ground

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

aerohawk won't lift off ground

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 05:35 PM
skiwe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerohawk won't lift off ground

Hello all.

I'm new to electric helicopters, and this forum has been VERY helpful.

I recently purchased the Aerohawk. After some initial problems with the servos and motors being plugged into the receiver incorrectly, I'm finally able to power the heli up.

It seems now that it doesn't have enough power to lift off the ground. I have 2 batteries both of which have gone through multiple charges with no luck with either. I also did some checking on all of the moving parts and have sanded all that needed it.

I've read where most people will just pop the heli up to clear the ground effect, but mine doesn't seem to want to lift that high. At full throttle, it will jump about 1 1/2 feet then come right back down (not crashing), but unable to even maintain a constant height off the ground.

I've done some of the mods I found here (ie. holes in extra blades, washer between main gear and bearing) and still no luck.

I'm now wondering if the Like90 upgrade kit it the way to go. If this is the case, what is the difference with the normal (blade, motor, head stiffener) and the inverted version.

Thanks ahead of time for any help anyone can give and again thanks for all of the posts here, they have been very helpful and informative.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Sabot

Default RE: aerohawk won't lift off ground

it just sounds like the motor isnt pushing out enough power.. check the soldering

Paris
Old 08-16-2004, 06:01 PM
skiwe

This is brand new.... by the way...

What do you mean the soldering?

Also, I just read about shooting WD-40 into the motor could help.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:55 PM
UKgroucho

WD-40 is not a good idea in the long run. It's not really a lubricant... more of a water displacement solution.

I've had the same problem recently with my AeroHawk. Previously it would gain plenty of altitude... more than I needed as a newbie. Then it started exhibiting the symptoms that you describe. The main possibilities are...
- the gear mesh on the main rotor is too tight. You can adjust this by loosening the screws on the bottoom of the motor (one is reached through the incuts in the lower sprocket on the main shaft) and moving the main motor around a little. You should move the motor 'away' from the main gear until you feel lessened resistance BUT the gears are still well and truly meshed. Getthis wrong and you'll quickly trash your main gear.

- your main motor is shot. This seems to be a common occurence with AeroHawks. My first motor was good, I could not get the 'backup' to work (same symptoms that you are seeing) so I swapped in a Johnson250 and Like90 blades... HUGE difference.

- your battery is shot. Unlikely with a new bird but possible. How long are you charging it for? should be no more that 2 hours 15 - 2 hours 30.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:24 PM
skiwe

Thanks for the info.

I have two batteries, and have been very careful with the charging. I've been charging approximately 2hrs - 2 1/2 hrs depending on the temp of the battery. When the battery starts to get hot, I disconnect. Both batteries act the same way.

Also, I have tried setting this gear. I read to use a piece of paper between, then rotate to get the paper out. Do you see any space between the gears when just visually looking (how much of the teeth overlap)?

I've also sent an email to rc-expert trying to get a replacement blade.

I looked into the Like90 upgrade kit, but wasn't sure if I needed the inverter part. Does this just allow the motor to mount below the gear?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Fasa
My Feedback: (5)

i have the like 90 blades, stiffener and motor. they make a huge difference in flight. forward especially.

But...I never had any problems with all stock parts. I flew it every day 2-3x a day with all stock parts, 0 sanding and the same stock battery it came with with 0 issues.

Are your blades in the little slits that they fit in? i read that some people over looked this and mounted them on top.(not sure if it will still fly)

Also, once and only once i went to fly and had 0 power, as if the battery wasn't charged. I think it is because I moved the heli after I plugged it in or the trim wasn't set right.

Make sure you turn on the transmitter(i have my throttle and throttle trim ALL the way down), then plug in the battery on the heli. DON'T touch anything until the red light comes on. Don't move it. Don't put the canopy on. Don't touch the sticks. Just wait.

I assume you sis thaty but i mention it just in case.

Anyways. if your motor is shot the like 90 motor(johnson250) will get that heli off the ground for sure.

GL

Fasa
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 AM
bcnbignose

Hi all,

I just bought a aerohawk 2 days ago, well, i received it two days ago, the first day i was not able to take it up, today, i lift it up like one meter of the floor and I started to trim it, its quite dificult because it moves a lot but slowly I'm improving my skills and I achieved to fly during one minute without landing it, then it crashes, I broke the stabilizer bar and when i put on it a new one i flyed quite better. I think that it is very important put really tied and straight the main blades.

Today also I discovered that the main rotor goes down some times when you crash and the tail gear get separated of the motor, the only think you have to do is pressing the tail gear up and the rotor head and the slant try down until the soft glue pipe that is situated just under the bearing of the slant tray goes down until the tail gear and the motor gets connected again.

in spite of all bad replies I heared in here, I think Ill be flying quite well my Helli in few days because mine feel to fly well.

thax for your help and sorry for my english
Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
skiwe

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've tried pretty much everything and still no power. Guess I just got a bad motor. I'm working in getting it replaced, but I bought from rc-expert (hong-konk) and will probably take forever.

So I went ahead and ordered the Like90 upgrade kit. I went ahead and got the FlipIt kit as well. Has anyone used this? Any improvement?

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:51 PM
UKgroucho

As I understand it, the idea behind the flip it kit is to allow the Johnson 250 to run in the 'right' direction. Apparently most factory shipped electric motors are set up to run in the opposite direction to what is required by a helicopter - so they are actually wired 'backwards' to make them work. For motors with round (cylindrical) bodies / stators you can retime theme (there is a document on the Like90 web site that describes how). Simplistically you turn the guts of the motor about an eigth of a turn (I believe, never done this) and re-time the motor to run the way a helicopter needs. There's a bit more to it than that... you take current readings before and during re-timing etc. End result is a motor that is more powerful and more efficient.

Johnsons 250s have quite a bit more power than stock AeroHawk motors anyway. The only 'problem' is that their bodies are not round - they are 'squashed' with two flats - so you cannot turn the guts and re-time. The flip it kit lets the motor run the way it was built to run - so when you get a flip it kit the Johnson is wired the 'right' way (i.e. do not try to use it in place of the stock motor! - unless you reverse the wiring).

The only other thing to watch is the tooth count on the pinion. 10 tooth pinions on a Johnson are ideal for AeroHawks WITH Like90 blades ... this is true withgout the flip it, I guess also true with the flip it. You should NOT use a 10 tooth Johnson setup with stock blades as there is a good chance you will burn out the 3in1 board.... if you want to use stock blades (which are easier to hover with initailly) a 9 tooth pinion is best.

bcnbignose... get a CNC shaft collar to replace the rubber hose OR buy a replacement steel main shaft - these come with C clips that hold the shaft in place. I nearly trashed the main pinion on my AeroHawk early on by not checking the movement that was allowed by the rubber tube hack.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:31 PM
skiwe

I actually put a small washer in between the rubber piece and the top bearing, and then another between the bottom bearing and the Main gear.

Do you think this might help, or would you still suggest a metal shaft? Where did you get yours?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
skiwe

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help. Finally got this bird off the ground.

Ended up doing about everything, sanding parts, re-timing motor (well, checking and cleaning and resoldering), balancing all blades, adding washer above main gear and bearing, and another between top bearing and rubber part of shaft..

Seems like the biggest issue was aligning the motor to the main gear. I found the main gear was not exactly parallel with the body, so I added a washer on one side of the motor to even these out.

Now I have enough juice to fly. And fly I have. Hovered around 15secs on first flight. After just a day or two can hover for over 30secs. next time to work hovering in a circle, figure eights, and possibly forward flight.

Only thing that has broken is the tail stick (little plastic piece to hold the tail up during landing). I have since tweaked the tail motor shaft a little, but was able to straighten it out. I have some ideas on a stronger tail skid, and if I come up with something I'll let you know.

Also, Still waiting on the Like90 upgrades. I'll let everyone no how they do. I got the blades, motor, dual tail motors, head stiffener, etc....
Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 AM
ccmfa

hello ive just ordered an areo hawk and i was looking at the like90 johnson motor, but which should i get it says you can have an iverted version and standard