Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM
gtmaxx
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

Old 08-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Vallier Racing

Default RE: Statement from JetJoe USA re Wren Turbines

hummmm these engines are seaming to be more of a reallity than a too good to be true
Old 08-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, now we're talking business...
Old 08-18-2004, 07:49 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vallier Racing

hummmm these engines are seaming to be more of a reallity than a too good to be true
well, I'll believe it when I see somebody actually running one thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:54 PM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

If they are what they say, then lets see them at some events flying them and maybe a few cut-aways or parts layed out for us to see. Better yet, they claim to have a bench run control set-up you can get, so maybe one set up to run. I'm sure the experts can see if they are what they claim this way. Good way for them to prove who/what they claim they are. Just a thought. [8D]
Old 08-18-2004, 08:01 PM
bahamadude

Well the site is all clean up with proper english

things are looking good

keep it up guys
Old 08-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Old 08-18-2004, 11:18 PM
AsiaSRC

GETTING MORE HEAT NOW!!! [sm=surprised.gif]

regards

albert /AsiaScale RC
Old 08-19-2004, 02:36 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had dealings with Todd Walters (GT Maxx) concerning custom machined parts for my EuroSport.....This guy is a machinist by trade and knows his *****!!!!! It appears to me that finally SOMEONE has broken this price fixing on turbines that we've all had shoved down our throats!!!!

I wish Todd all of the best with his new business endeavor.

Kevin
Old 08-19-2004, 05:44 AM
Woketman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As I stated in another thread, I have dealt with Todd in the past and have always found him to be honest and a great guy. If he is involved in this, it appears legit to me. Sounds like we'll all know a lot more soon.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:12 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im thinking of ordering one of these JetJoe turbines just to see for myself what the engine is like .... hey, its cheap enough to do that ....

Wojtek
Old 08-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Jeff S.
My Feedback: (1)

Wojtek,

If you decide to go for it, perhaps you could even do a review here on RCUniverse.

Jeff
Old 08-19-2004, 10:11 AM
MustangFan

It kind of struck me odd ... that some people on another thread said JetJoe can't be made to exacting "turbine" standards like is made in America ... they need CNC etc..

Like CNC is new or confined to the USA. Or other technologies are not available outside the US.
Current Business Practices has seen fit to take care of that.

I for one am hoping this engine will be the ticket.
I would love to get involved in a turbine jet without spending $$$$$$.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

I would still like to see a few of these run before I would buy one... Like jets kits.. I always go to the meets and see how they fly before I buy them.. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
wojtek

We will be doing a review on this engine as soon as we get ours ... I am very curious to see this thing .. An *v*R is also available and waiting for a test platform.... plan on puting a lot of fuel through it for testing both on the bench and in the air

Wojtek
Old 08-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What is their "ecu" all about. It says that its some type of manual controller with no programming? Is it just a speed controller for the pump??
V..
Old 08-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Its the FADEC, I believe you can also use the Orbit type if you don't want the FADEC.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:10 PM
gtmaxx

Default .

Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

[] Looks like the Asians while trying to maintain German tolerences have adopted the German delivery time also!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:29 PM
GrayUK

Maybe they can not get the parts?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:45 PM
wojtek

The issue is not availability but quality. A few people have received these engines for eval, and the quality horrible. Wrong materials on the wrong parts, butchered and badly cast turbine wheels, quickly deterioration combustion chambers, etc ... The engines do exist , and the engines do run (for a short while), but are problem ridden, to the point of being a serious concern for safety. Though these could be made to run with a few fixes, this is not the case out of the box, and would require some experience in building turbines oneself ... with the price in the $600 range, a lot of newbies would be using these turbines, people with no turbine experience to begin with .... add up inexperience and lack of quality in the product, and you have disaster ... Unfortunately this is one of these manufacturers that can now sell these time bombs here in the US that the AMA regs have changed, no longer requiring AMA aproval on engines ..

Though i typically only deal with higher thrust engines in the 18lbs and up range, and am not really interesten in anything this small, I was nontheless cuious to get the engine to see if one could actually buy a turbine for under $1K that was reliable and functional. I also was looking forward to for once assembling an engine myself, and getting a bit more involved in the mechanics if the turbine itself ... Well, i was dissapointed to find out this was not the case, and im sure a lot of other people are also, (especially the people who started signing up as dealers and distributors .. ) I gues i will buy a wren kit one day when i wast to screw around asembling a turbine from a kit .... I was also cleared to do a review here on RCU on tihs engine, but looks like this will not be the case either, as I would most likely be only reporting after how many runs the thing disintegrated to pieces ......

sorry ...

Wojtek

p.s. i was too lazy to use a spell checker, so people: please leave me alone about my spelling mistakes an typos
Old 08-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Romeo-Alpha

Can you post some names or handles of some of those people who received them for evaluation? I can't seem to find a single thread referring to a delivered one here or anywhere else. Have you formed your opinion first hand and if so, could you post some pictures of your JoeJet turbine?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:13 PM
wojtek

i am basing my opinion on opinions of people who are very respected and experienced with mode turbine engines. If these people do not want to directly express their opinions, then it is not my place to post who they are. I am not in business in this hobby, so I do not have to worry about my business being afected by a products reputation, quality, or any involvement with the product .. If people want to provice their personal experiences they will ... If any of you know Todd Walters, you know he is stand up and fair ... If I was an uninformed and inexperienced consumer, i would be very cautious about buying a product that the distributor himself is havving serious issues with .. by the way, 4 turbines that I know of have been delivered 3 in built form and 1 as a kit ..

I have been cleared for a review on this engine on RCU. I would still be willing to do this is JetJoe provides an engine (and yes, i would be willing to pay for it, but only once it runs without failing on me) As I stated before, we have a brand new AV8R that would be used for any testing also .... My intention would be to have the balance of the engine professionally verified (other than by JetJoe) as it is impossible to dynamically balance a turbine shaft assembly on a glorified propeller ballancer in my opinion (this is how JetJoe claims to do it). several bench runs would be done, through at least 4 galons of fuel , with several startups and cool downs, and of course al stats recorded. If this went well, the engine would be further evaluated on the AV8R, followed by a few more hours of run time on the bench .. My point would be to see if this really is a reliable , and safe engine ... I think that with changes to a lot of the components this could be acmplished, but it would be wrong to use the public as guinea pigs in a trial and error development and design process ...

Wojtek
Old 08-19-2004, 07:38 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: wojtek
The issue is not availability but quality. A few people have received these engines for eval, and the quality horrible. Wrong materials on the wrong parts, butchered and badly cast turbine wheels, quickly deterioration combustion chambers, etc
But hang on, didn't gtmaxx just get through telling us:

By the way, our Turbine Wheels are Vacuum formed Inconel 713 and are X-rayed. The wheels are also Aerospace certified.
Somehow these two statement's don't seem to tally -- one of them is obviously incorrect.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:40 PM
gtmaxx

Default .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.