YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

New YS-140 Problems????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:38 PM
hw123
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New YS-140 Problems????

Hello guys i have brand new YS140 that has only 4 tanks of gas through it and i have dead sticked my plane in everytime with it. What is happening is after i first start the engine it runs flawless, idles nice and excellerates verywell, If i leave the throttle wide open for anything over 5 sec. it goes lean and dies everytime. I have the motor in a Quique Somenzini YAK-54. I have large fuel tubing through out the fuel system, fuel filter, YS glow plug in it I am running 17-6 APC prop. I have tryed a 18-6 wide blade ,16-10 APc prop also and get the same thing out of it. When it I am done running the plane i go to relieve the pressure in the tank and theres not that much pressure there,there is no leaks in the fuel system anywhere, i have checked that a couple times. My old YS 120 used to have a lot of pressure. Do i need to turn the pump pressure up to fix the problem here? The motor has plenty of cooling access to the motor. If any one has any suggestions i would sure appriciate it.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:42 PM
hw123

Default RE: New YS-140 Problems????

Hello guys, The engine turns 8600 on the ground for just a few min. and then it starts acting up, I am using 30% nitro, i have ran the motor without the cowl and it doesn't seem to do it as bad with out the cowl on it but it does sound good on the ground and after a couple minutes in the air it goes sour. This is the SPORT version. The motor has never kicked or backfired. The motor smells really hot when it does running. The fuel system will hold pressure for a long time. The motor Is backed off about 500 RPM from max. So it is running a tad bit on the rich side. ,please let me know. Thank You hw123
Old 08-31-2004, 09:43 PM
hw123

Here is the Plane it is in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69383.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	169209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19117.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	169210  
Old 09-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your first post, the tank pressure is weak, in the second it's OK. It may be a problem with your check valve, or are you running some kind of fueling valve?