Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How do you make retracts on a Super Reaper?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you make retracts on a Super Reaper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Propellars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you make retracts on a Super Reaper?

Suppose I should make retracts on my Super Reaper, how should it be done?

Nose leg I can figure, but main retracts seems to conflict with the alu-pipe within the wing. Cutting to close to the alu-pipe would weaken the wing, would’nt it?

Perhaps I should mount the mechanics with the leg and weels pointing away from the fuselage instead of the traditional way, where they point at each other. That way only some of the foam and wood is cut away around the alu-pipe...

Salmonbug has done it like this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...retract/tm.htm
but as I see it, the alupipe losts almost all its contact with the wing along one side, or what?

Are there any wodden-spars or anything inside the wing, or is it pure foam??
Old 09-06-2004, 07:11 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How do you make retracts on a Super Reaper?

Propellars,

Here is a pic of the way I did my main retract install. It does differ in the way that Salmonbug did his. As far as weakening the wing in the spar area.... I don't think it will be an issue. I cut two vertical spars from aircraft grade ply that run parallel to the wing, and are notched to clear the tube spar. The vertical spars are slotted to accept the retract mounting plate, and aircraft ply was used to tie in the mounting plate to the sidewall's. The vertical spars are 305mm in length, but if I had it to do over, I would cut them down to 200mm in length.

I also looked at turning the retracts in the opposite direction... but this creates another potential problem in that the gear stance will be quite narrow. This will cause a tendency for the aircraft to tip on landing, especially in any significant crosswind. Another area you would have to check close would be the wing cord thickness at the point where the tire would retract into the wheel bay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97552.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	170729  
Old 09-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Propellars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you make retracts on a Super Reaper?

DANG, again I forgot to acknoledge a fine answer to my post. Thankts and Sorry ContryBoy!!

Of cause I had read about your retracts in your original post, since I normally search the forum before I ask, bug it is nice to hear from you that you have had the same considerations about rotating the mount as I. IF I go so far and make the restracts, I will do pritty much as you, so thanks.
I still am verymuch in doubt it it is worth it, or if I just shall keep calling it "my first jet", and accept the original restracts...

Do you ever have problems with yours? not going up or down, or other things? My plan was to buy a 15 kg Eurokit, since it is payable in Denmark (Robart is deffently not cheap here), and the normally 9kg Eurokit is to weak. I do like the idea in Eurokit with the 6mm og 8 mm pin that will bend before the leg bends, or the casing braks. Robart seems to stiff for me..