Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ViperJet II

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ViperJet II

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 AM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ViperJet II

I friend had told me that the new ViperJet II had destroyed it's self after the rudder had seperated in flight. Is this true?

He also told he that a news crew had filmed the flight and crash. does this mean that we will not see one for a while?

Any one have any further info on this?

Thanks
Alan.....
Old 09-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Miguel Santana
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ViperJet II

Tell your friend I need his nose...
The new viper jet is not even release yet....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39212.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	171348  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:33 PM
UK Flier

There was a reported problem with the original Viperjet covered on this thread, so maybe this is what your friend was referring to.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1717319

Regards John
Old 09-08-2004, 01:00 PM
SAP_2000

You sure it was the MK II?

I have heard of some incidents where the MK I's getting vertical fin flutter and then looses the whole fin or rudder.

Of course, this only happens because of bad choice of servos, poor linkages or poor assembly by the user....

The rudder came loose on a Viper that belongs to a friend of mine a month ago (top pics)
A friend of mine in Sweden got fin flutter on his Viper this summer resulting in cracks in the fuse/ fin and loose former.
My Viper have suffered aileron de-lamination in flight on the maiden (bottom pics).
I have been contacted by another two Viper owners who have had fin/ stab problems that was told to not speak out publicly if they wanted any replacement parts...

I am sure the MK II will be much better than the MK I that IMO was not tested (at all?) good enough prior to release and suffered some poor quality control at the factory.

This being said, the Viper is very good flying plane. Precise response for aerobatics. Very fast and with very good slow flying capabilities. I love flying mine, now that I have fixed all the weaknesses it originally had...

[img]local://upfiles/52487/Ay75235.jpg[/img]

[img]local://upfiles/52487/Id97318.jpg[/img]

[img]local://upfiles/52487/Af88862.jpg[/img]

[img]local://upfiles/52487/Iu11078.jpg[/img]

[img]local://upfiles/52487/Vs55776.jpg[/img]

Name:	Ay75235.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	171364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97318.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	171365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88862.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	171366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11078.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	171367  
Old 09-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

YEP, I was told by a friend that I won the California Lottery without buying a ticket. LOL

on the lighter side of facts. There are NO production Viper Jet MK 11 Kits out yet, so that would make it impossible for that statment to be true.

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: 3DHELI-NUT

I friend had told me that the new ViperJet II had destroyed

Thanks
Alan.....
Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
3DHELINUT

I was informed that it was one of the new prototypes that where being tested over in china, you do not need the kits to be released to perform testing as i bet there are a few prototypes that have gone through some form of testing prior to release of the production run.

I may have been mis-informed or this could be a true story. if any one has that footage that the local news crew shot please post it here.

Alan.....

ORIGINAL: Turbulence

YEP, I was told by a friend that I won the California Lottery without buying a ticket. LOL

on the lighter side of facts. There are NO production Viper Jet MK 11 Kits out yet, so that would make it impossible for that statment to be true.

Turbulence

I friend had told me that the new ViperJet II had destroyed

Thanks
Alan.....
Old 09-08-2004, 02:57 PM
SAP_2000

I was informed that it was one of the new prototypes that where being tested over in china, you do not need the kits to be released to perform testing as i bet there are a few prototypes that have gone through some form of testing prior to release of the production run.

I may have been mis-informed or this could be a true story. if any one has that footage that the local news crew shot please post it here.
If that is true, I am willing to bet that there is a heavy lid on the case....
Old 09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Miguel Santana

I was informed that it was one of the new prototypes that where being tested over in china

Alan.....

How "your friend" knows about a something that supouselly happened.....in China?[X(][sm=pirate.gif]
Let me guess....he works in the same lotery company where Turbulence's friend bought the winning ticket, right?

FYI one Viper got rudder flutter got to do with the servo.
The owner comfirm that possible the servo was came loose to cause that rudder to flutter. There never found the servo. The servos was gone during flight.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:06 PM
UK Flier

My Viper have suffered aileron de-lamination in flight on the maiden (bottom pics).
I have been contacted by another two Viper owners who have had fin/ stab problems that was told to not speak out publicly if they wanted any replacement parts...
FYI one Viper got rudder flutter got to do with the servo.
The owner comfirm that possible the servo was came loose to cause that rudder to flutter. There never found the servo. The servos was gone during flight.
So one failure turns into four, and we have a cover up as well for th Mk 1 and some mystery video footage for the MK2 [X(], watching with interest.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Miguel Santana

Sap,
In my Viper I add some balsa block at the trailing edge in every hole due the hinges did not go all the way inside the hole....in order to archive the proper rudder motion...
I think is better to explain with a....diagram
The way you intalled your does not seems to be the best way...
Good luck,
Miguel

Name:	Ki18421.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	171397  
Old 09-08-2004, 04:47 PM
SAP_2000

Miguel:

The one on the top pictures isn't mine, but a flying buddy of mine here in Norway.

The manual says nothing about balsa blocks is needed on the fin hinges...
The manual is more like this:
Step one; 'take plane out of box'
Step two; 'finnish plane'
Step three; 'fly plane'
If step three is not succsesful, you failed step two....

I think the manuals on the Skymaster planes are pretty poor too... Would like to se manuals more like the Hangar9's which are simply excellent!

The one that got fin flutter in Sweden had installed balsa blocks as you described..... But that is probably due to servo or linkage problems too...?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Miguel Santana

Sap,
You're right about the manual.
It did not take me a while to noticed the Viper's manual was not as those from Great Planes or as you mentiones Hangar 9.
And I beleave this is a problem that affect the big mayority of jet manufacturers.
Anyway, is good not to always stick as per the manual say....at this level of flying I'm afraid we alway going to have to use our commun sence...
I do not remember one plane (even propeller) I had build that does not need to have something done out of the manual[&o], and sometime if you do it as per the manual does not work better than your own way.
Besides, those picture you posted are great [sm=thumbup.gif]
Good Luck,
Miguel

BESIDES...
TheViper is a VERY fast jet and as you know speed makes everything more critical.
After setting all my Viper pushrods....I soldered all the clevis with silver solder.....eliminating the small tolerance that alway have due to the threads.
I also use Dubro 4-40 metal Clevises since their pins have a tight fit into the horns holes....less play (I measure all brands of clevis with a digital caliper....and yes, call me cracy [&:])
Also, did not use the small rubber mounts that comes with the servos...to asure a rigid fit.
And....finally and of course....use the more inside hole possible in the aluminum servos arms to reduce the play in all the surface.
I think these are the minimum things to do in a plane that flies w/P-120 closer to 200mph...or more?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:38 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Please delete this thread.
This thread is personal attacking Tamjets and Cermark.
Rumor does hurt our business.
Brg,
Tam
Old 09-08-2004, 11:00 PM
3DHELINUT

This was not an attack personally on anyone..........

I was given some information about a kit I had interest in purchasing in the near future and I had inquired about its validity!

I have done further research and found that the crash was filmed by a news crew and it was one of the original viperjet kits. So I was given untrue information and now I have updated everyone.

Sorry for the confusion guys

Alan....

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Brg,
Tam
Old 09-09-2004, 01:16 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Request for deleted.
Everyone do crash they plane. But too many reason behide the crash. Could be builder false, equipement fail, or the plane itself.
So no solid proof what ever reason. So it's not fair to brought here and make a those kind of remark.
Please have this thread remove.

Thanks,
Tam
Old 09-09-2004, 05:14 PM
SAP_2000

ORIGINAL: Miguel Santana

I do not remember one plane (even propeller) I had build that does not need to have something done out of the manual[&o], and sometime if you do it as per the manual does not work better than your own way.
Besides, those picture you posted are great [sm=thumbup.gif]

BESIDES...
TheViper is a VERY fast jet and as you know speed makes everything more critical.
After setting all my Viper pushrods....I soldered all the clevis with silver solder.....eliminating the small tolerance that alway have due to the threads.
I also use Dubro 4-40 metal Clevises since their pins have a tight fit into the horns holes....less play (I measure all brands of clevis with a digital caliper....and yes, call me cracy [&:])
Also, did not use the small rubber mounts that comes with the servos...to asure a rigid fit.
And....finally and of course....use the more inside hole possible in the aluminum servos arms to reduce the play in all the surface.
I think these are the minimum things to do in a plane that flies w/P-120 closer to 200mph...or more?
Thanks Miguel!

You are right about how important it is to use the best possible links and servo setup on our jets. Small ''insurance'' price to pay in order to make the plane safer...

After one has built an flown a few jets over the years, one eventually get a feeling on what hardware is good and what's not. Me for instance, always use M3 threaded rods with Kavan links. If the rod is longer than say 10cm., I push a carbon fiber tube over the M3 threaded rod and fix it in place with epoxy so the rod wont bend under stress...

I think it is a good choice and this setup have never let me down so far...
Old 09-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I would much rather have a prototype crash than a production airplane. If Tam had a crash in China.. then good for him.. Because most certainly Tam will get it fixed and solid before it ever comes to market.

Oh.. and don't believe everything you hear or read on the Internet.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Miguel Santana

Sap,
[sm=thumbup.gif]choice.-
Miguel

ORIGINAL: SAP_2000
...I push a carbon fiber tube over the M3 threaded rod and fix it in place with epoxy so the rod wont bend under stress...
Old 09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Miguel Santana

Dough,
And the best part of all this is all the FREE advertisement Tam is getting from these people....[sm=thumbup.gif]

What's next? Bin Laden bought a Viperjet....?[sm=lol.gif]

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Personally I would much rather have a prototype crash than a production airplane. If Tam had a crash in China.. then good for him.. Because most certainly Tam will get it fixed and solid before it ever comes to market.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:30 AM
3DHELINUT

Miguel what does any of this have to do with TAM? I never mentioned his name or brought him up in my threads........

I am glad to see that you have positioned yourself as the self proclaimed spokesman of TAM, you will get many brownie points for that!

Get a life, it is always good to see a question that an individual brings up as a consumer and have it taken apart and misquoted as propaganda or stating that there is an underlining malice intent behind it...........

Good luck in your pursuit towards total TAM enlightenment

Alan....

Dough,
And the best part of all this is all the FREE advertisement Tam is getting from these people....[sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 09-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Miguel Santana

Nice try.-
Keep trying [sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Alexdu

Hi Alan.
Everyone knows that if you talk about the ViperJet you are talking about Tam. Apparently everyone but you knows that.

Regards

Alex

Miguel what does any of this have to do with TAM? I never mentioned his name or brought him up in my threads........

I am glad to see that you have positioned yourself as the self proclaimed spokesman of TAM, you will get many brownie points for that!

Get a life, it is always good to see a question that an individual brings up as a consumer and have it taken apart and misquoted as propaganda or stating that there is an underlining malice intent behind it...........

Good luck in your pursuit towards total TAM enlightenment

Alan....

Dough,

Old 09-10-2004, 11:01 AM
3DHELINUT

ALEXDU, the last time i look the ViperJet way made by Cermark not TAM.......... so if you equate ViperJet = Tam than thats another story...
Tam is only a dealer for Cermark as are many other hobby shops.........
I never had any intent in purchasing the viperJet from Tam! I can get it directly from Cermark!

Alan....
Old 09-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Goin West

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Brg,
Tam

??????

I thought that the misinformation about which edition of the Viper crashed was lame, but the author cleared that up. The pics of the delamination are probably more damaging than anything that has been said here in this thread. There is nothing here that warrants a deletion of the thread, Tam. Sometimes you gotta take the crookeds with the straights. You get plenty of praise in here, too!
Old 09-10-2004, 01:02 PM
SAP_2000

Sap,
[sm=thumbup.gif]choice.-
Miguel
Thanks!
I like my links setup that way..

Me and a friend went out flying today. me with the ViperJet, and Tor (icepilot) with his SpiderJets F-16. Got four excellent flights on it today in a bit windy conditions. All went well and the Viper behaved perfectly! It is just so smooth to fly...

We shot some video of our flights today, and as soon as Tor has edited the video I will post it here in a new thread.(no top-gun music, I promise)..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.