Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

taking the plunge.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 09:45 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default taking the plunge.....

Hey all. This past summer, I have noticed I have really been honing my flying skills down and have pretty much met the limits of my .40 sized GP extra 300S. Recently I have mastered the lomcevok (sp?), knife edge, and other un-named wild tumbling manuevers, all at LOW altitudes. For next flying season I want to go big, I want to go 3D, and I want to go GAS. I am looking for a good plane in the 1/4 - 1/3 scale design. An extra, edge, or a cap would fit the bill good. So for the winter, I want to start a project of building one (ARF, of course) and have it ready for next season. The engine I will plan on getting on the RCU marketplace, and maybe some other various components. Since I will have all winter to get it ready, I will be able to save up and buy good components to go into it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to go? I am wanting an airframe around the $350-$400 range. I will worry about engine choice once I have the airframe in hand. Thanks for reading and/or helping!

sean
Old 09-18-2004, 09:51 AM
ifixairplanes

Default RE: taking the plunge.....

well, i was just looking around and have found Chip hydes CAP X on the aeroworks website.. It looks like a decent plane and can be run on gas, any comments?

sean
Old 09-18-2004, 10:34 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Id go for a WH Edge in the 1/4 scale range, and in 33% all the H9 arfs are great bang for the buck. I have seen a capx vid... was not impressed..
Old 09-18-2004, 11:20 AM
davidmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wildhare Edge or Extra or the GP Patty Wagstaff Extra or Dave Patrick Extra. If you want to build, CA Extra or Midwest Extra. Aeroworks also makes some nice kits but they are a bit pricey and they seem to be going through some growing pains right now. All are in the 25% - 28% size and will fly great with a 50 sized gas engine. If you are willing to up your airframe budget, you can go bigger and better.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Check out the Wild Hare website. For quality, price and great customer service you can't beat their 28% Extra and Edge.

http://www.wildharerc.com/
Old 09-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Ditto the Wild hare Edge 28%...best value for the buck, period. (or Extra if you prefer)
DA~50 unquestionably best match.
Both companies offer the best customer service going...
Old 09-18-2004, 04:31 PM
dannny745
My Feedback: (-1)

wild hare extra 300 spec. rocks........da50
Old 09-18-2004, 07:46 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Another vote for Wild Hare. I also really like my Kangke 28% Laser 2000 with Brison 3.2.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:36 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

The Laser is an old design though and usually doesn't fly as well as more modern aircraft...
Old 09-19-2004, 08:41 AM
ifixairplanes

thanks guys, wild hare it is. now i need to decide on edge or extra.....
Old 09-19-2004, 08:57 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

The Hangar 9 33% arfs are a excellent choice and can be powered fine by a ZDZ80,, check them out out www.horizonhobby.com
Old 09-19-2004, 09:20 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Check out the Velox from Aerotech. It is a 28% size plane and for 399.00 it also comes with a complete hardware kit. It looks like a nice plane for the money. It will be my next project.

Rick
Old 09-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

BME Edge...... I have one and it is great. I have heard that a lot of the WH planes wing rock in a harrier. The BME does not. Good luck on what ever route you go. You will have a blast.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:36 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

He asked for an airframe in the 350-450 range. 33% H9 arfs aren't going to meet his price requirements.

I believe that wing rock is more of a setup thing than airframe design on most planes.

I'd also vote for the WH Edge or Extras. I just don't think you can beat the price for what you get. I bought a 28% Edge for my first big plane. Not done yet, and probably won't fly till spring, but I can't wait. Another invaluable plus is the Wildhare support forum, where Tom and other experienced guys will answer even your "stupidest" questions

You will have fun[8D]
Old 09-19-2004, 03:00 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

If you want to make your next plane an all winter project build it fron a kit. You'll have an ARF built in a few weeks and then you have to sit and look at it till spring.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:23 PM
dicknadine

its a good time to start learning how to build your own model, not some <EDIT>. plans of all of them are available. dick
Old 09-20-2004, 01:31 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another GREAT 3D airplane is the Lanier Edge 540. We have one at the field with the standard 3W 75 and it is a 3D monster. It will do anything you want it to do and its no more expensive than the 50CC planes. The engine is about the same price as a DA50..
Old 09-20-2004, 11:52 AM
ifixairplanes

only reason i dont build kits is because i have no room to be able to layout the plans and not have to move them around. There is just so much stuff in my house. Either i use my dads workshop or the living room and get it built in a weekend, or i have to pack everything up once i am finished building for the day. Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction, i'll tell ya when i come up with something.

sean
Old 12-01-2004, 10:00 PM
por924
My Feedback: (2)

dicknadine, whats wrong with "some Chinamans" model? They are well built (better than most of us can do within the same time frame) and inexpensive, not to mention in high demand! I hope you meant no harm by your comment, perhaps bad choice of words, you can have the benefit of the doubt, nevertheless, it's probably not a bad idea to try to avoid at all costs any bashing of ones product especially when certain people might get offended, i.e. Chinese people or Russian, or Italian, anyway you get the point.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 PM
dicknadine

very sorry if i offended you with my words. this is a rough world-- so get used to words. also suggest you read the words a lot of the READY to FLY guys have to say, coudn't be printed here. the name of our hobby-- game is to have fun, whether we build and fly it or buy it and fly it. end of discussion on my part. dick
Old 12-02-2004, 02:13 AM
por924
My Feedback: (2)

Be it a rough world or not, that shouldn't be used as a cop out for a bad choice of words. I accept your apology however I need not accept the use of just any words. No one should have to get use to being offended. All I am saying is be careful and courteous. We can all have fun with our hobby without running into these problems.

Charles
Old 12-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

If you want to make your next plane an all winter project build it fron a kit. You'll have an ARF built in a few weeks and then you have to sit and look at it till spring.
Or...heh I love this part.

You have no winter like me

Dec. 1 and still no freeze here and highs in the 60's and 70's.

Maybe the month of Feb. counts as winter and then I could build an ARF or 3 that month.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:23 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Hey. Just checking to see if ya got an ARF or not. But I bought a Powerline Hobbies Edge 540 23% for $190.00. Was very cheap but the plane is a dandy. Very nice work and flies wonderful. It has a 73" wing span and I have a First Place Engine 2.4 (40cc) in it. I did have a Super Tigre 2300 but it didn't have the balls to 3D the plane. So I went with gas. I'm happy now and it will have tons of power.

This arf is great and comes with prepainted fiberglass cowl and pants. The engine box has to be the coolest I've ever seen too. It isn't glued when you get it, but it slides in and out of the fuse. So you can mount your engine on it and ballance the plane by moving the engine and box in or out to get perfect ballance. When balanced where you want it, mark the box and then glue it in. Slickest thing. Maybe it's been done before. I don't know. Here's a pic of mine with the supertigre in it and no wheelpants.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37126.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	198598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91541.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	198599  
Old 12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: por924

dicknadine, whats wrong with "some Chinamans" model? They are well built (better than most of us can do within the same time frame) and inexpensive, not to mention in high demand! I hope you meant no harm by your comment, perhaps bad choice of words, you can have the benefit of the doubt, nevertheless, it's probably not a bad idea to try to avoid at all costs any bashing of ones product especially when certain people might get offended, i.e. Chinese people or Russian, or Italian, anyway you get the point.

Dick, I'm with you bro! Any of you can call me anything you want and I won't take offense because this is AMERICA and we practice free speech here,
Oh I get so tired of this politically correct BS... its killing this country. por924 - I'll bet you voted liberal didn't you??

By the way, I am German, Polish and Russian ... when I was younger I always wanted to beat someone up, but I forgot who..... so I started drinking Vodka instead.

I'm all better now.

YEESH

DP
Old 12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

DP
Does that make you a mongrel breed? If you still feel like beating someone up I am available. Every one needs someone to look down on. Help yourself to me.
Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.