Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Servo choices...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:12 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo choices...

I'm going to buy some servos for my Edge in the next couple weeks. I'm wondering what torque requirements are for the various surfaces. I honestly have no idea on a plane of this size.

I will be using an 8611 on the rudder. How about the ailerons and elevators? I have a couple 5625MG digitals laying around. At 6v they make 130oz of torque.

Is this enough for the elevator halves or ailerons? I do NOT want the minimum torque required, and if it means using something else, I will.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Servo choices...

100 oz. inch servos with metal gears will do for everything else. Avoid plastic gears of any type, I don't care what anybody's advertising hype says. The manufacturer of the product won't be anywhere nearby to replace the plane when the plastic gears strip out.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I have it down to jr 8611's all around or Futaba s9451's for the elev/ailerons and a single 8611 for the rudder..Havent decided yet...
Old 09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
bhadley0

What size Edge are you considering? If its a 28% WH then the WH web site states that you should use 100 in-oz as a minimum on the elevators. You will be 30% greater than that and should be just fine witht he 5425s
bh
Old 09-20-2004, 07:45 AM
cajunhemi

For what it is worth I am using 5945's all around and JR8611 on the rudder. Even put a digital on the throttle. Over 20 flights and mine is flying great. Walls are really quick with the digis. That JR8611 is a beast as well, If I could handle it it would KE loop no problem(I always chicken out of the KE loop,lol) One thing you might look at is the Fromeco Lio-ion packs. There very light weight and last forever. I am using 2 x 2200 for the RX and 1 x 2200 for the ign. I can fly for a week(at least 10 flights) before charging
Old 09-20-2004, 09:50 AM
fiveoboy01

Already planning on getting the Fromeco setup for my plane
Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: fiveoboy01

I was looking at Duralites..Does Fromeco offer anything that Duralites dont??
Old 09-20-2004, 11:19 AM
fiveoboy01

ORIGINAL: Redrum

ORIGINAL: fiveoboy01

I was looking at Duralites..Does Fromeco offer anything that Duralites dont??
Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I'm not really familliar with the duralite stuff. Hopefully someone who knows a little more will get in here and do some explaining.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Josey Wales

I was looking at their site and they seem pretty comparable to the Duralite system..I guess it comes down to preference..
Old 09-20-2004, 11:31 AM
fiveoboy01

Redrum, here is a post from another board on the Fromecos vs the Duralites. Now this guy is sponsored by Fromeco, but I don't think he's really trying to bash Duralite or anything, just calling at as he sees it. But, take it for what it's worth.

I know several people who are using the Fromeco setup and have no complaints, but I'm sure there are plenty having success with the Duralite setups as well. Anyways, here's the post:

You can get just the regulator or a regulator with a reliaswitch built into the circuit as already pointed out. I would go with the Super Regulated Reliaswitch. This has the failsafe switch built into it (will always fail in the on position, so your plane can't crash because of a slide switch failure). The only down side to any type of failsafe switch is you must unplug it from the battery source as it draws a small amount of current to make it able to do this. You only unplug it when you put your plane into storage for a month or more. You also get the cool pin with the red flag on it with the switch. Also the new regulators are adjustable, a very nice feature. You'll find that the Fromeco regulators are a tad more expensive than others and the reason being is they use a better (and more expensive) regulator chip in the circuit along with a better heat sink. If you compare a Duralite regulator with a Fromeco you'll find the Duralite regulator will lose a whole volt in the system and the Fromeco will not. (This test was proven by several folks, including Jon Lealand, a leading top pilot). If your serious about your planes, and good equipment, IMO, skip the Duralite. Duralite has a 'exclusive charge safe circuit' in their packs. Don't be fooled by this nonsense. If their charger was designed properly this 'charge safe circuit' wouldn't be needed. It should be in the charger (where it belongs) that way you can charge any ones Li-Ions and be safe. Fromeco puts the 'brains' or 'charge safe circuit' in the charger. Yes, I'm sponsored by Fromeco and that would make me biased in some eyes, but the facts are the facts. I won't PM you and try to sway you because I would rather compare apples to apples out in the open. Fromeco has nothing to hide, look at their tech pages and you'll have to agree their products are way ahead of the competition. Bottom line, if a product isn't everything it says it is and have excellent quality and backup customer service behind it, I wouldn't take the sponsorship.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Josey Wales

Thanks for the info..I did some research and the Fromeco redundant system with reliaswitches is about 100$ more than the Duralite redundant system but thats including the reliaswirches which are 50$ each..So basically they are very close in price..Seems alot of people like the Fromeco's...More decisions!!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:19 AM
cajunhemi

I went with the fromeco's because of the price. I used 3 standard MPI switches and and the fromeco package cost me right at 200. I personally like dealing with a smaller company because you seem to get better customer service and support. Kurt is a real nice guy to talk to and can tell you anything you ever wanted to know about batteries. Give him a call and fire away with any questions you may have. BTY I am not sponsored by Fromeco or anything just real happy with there product and service.
For great servo deals try www.donalds-hobby.com. Great prices on Hitec servos.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Josey Wales

I agree..Kurt is great to talk with..Im still not sold on Li-on packs in general..YET!! I need to do a bit more reading up about the possible dangers when charging etc..I know that they can save at least 6-8oz of weight over NIMH packs...
Old 09-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Josey Wales

Since those reliaswitches fail to the "on" position is it necessary to have 2 separate packs for redundancy..If the switch fails its going to keep the juice flowing anyway right??
Old 09-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

What if it's the battery that fails? Where does the juice come from then?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Aerohead

What if it's the battery that fails? Where does the juice come from then?
UMMMM UHHH Oh yea forgot about that!!![&:]
Old 09-22-2004, 06:18 AM
cajunhemi

I think the main thing is to go with gives you piece of mind!!! You could buy products out the whazoo and add 10 pounds to your bird if you wanted. For me 1 RX 2 batts w/ 2 switches seems to be the simplest rendundant power choice. Good luck with your build
Old 09-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Josey Wales

Did you get the Fromeco charger? If so does it come with an AC adapter?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:29 AM
cajunhemi

redrum - Yes I did get the Fromeco charger (3 bank) so I could charge all three batteries at one time. It does not have an AC adapter. I use a 12v power supply in my home. The charger has two female connections for bannanna plugs. The charger is very sweet. Worth the $ IMOA. Never have to worry about if I selected the right charge value or not just plug and go.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:31 AM
cajunhemi

Plus the wife likes the cool LED lights in the charger too,lol lol
Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Josey Wales

Thanks!! Im leaning to the Fromecos but not sure yet about the charger..I like the Duralite charger and you can get the AC adapter for about 20$ I would think that it would be ok for charging the Fromecos also
Old 09-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Dangerous Dan

RedDrum,
I don't think a Duralite charger will work on Fromeco. Duralite has the safe charge circuitry built into the packs with seperate charging and power leads. ie..Part of the charging circuitry is in the pack.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:59 AM
carbon wingnut

Redrum,

The Duralite charger will work with our batteries no problem, just ensure that it is a Duralite Plus charger. The older charger is for a different chemistry of cell.

Kurt Cook
Fromeco Scale Avionics LLC
www.fromeco.com
[email protected]
Old 09-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Dangerous Dan

Kirt,
Good Info! Did you get the contest report I sent you?

dan powell
TRC President/Contest Director
Old 09-22-2004, 11:05 AM
carbon wingnut

Yes I did thank you very much, also the winner has claimed his loot. Very nice Guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.