Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

polishing aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:04 AM
nitromacguyver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polishing aluminum

i stripped the adonizing off the chassis of my truck and now i want to get it to a mirror chrome polish. how can i do this? extremely fin grades of sand paper? buff it? if buffing, how do i? i have tried in the past and have not had much luck. thanks
Old 09-24-2004, 07:24 AM
WickedAirbrush

Default RE: polishing aluminum

The stuff that I have always used to put a mirror finish on aluminum is a product called Nevr-dull by Eagle One:

It is NOT a paste (which makes it easier to use). It is actually a "wad" material that you pull out of the can in strips. Put some latex gloves on and rub the alum. surface. The longer you apply it, the shinier the surface will be. As you rub it in, the surface will actually get all black. Remove the black residue with a clean rag and voala! You have a perfectly mirrored finish. It's a bit messy and stinks (it's a chemical process), but the results are fantastic.

I am new to r/c's and I have never used this on an r/c car but it works on any aluminum. I used to race sprint cars and we used this stuff on all of our aluminum body panels and tie rods. It produces an unreal mirrored finish if you work a section for about 3-5 mins.

At only $3.99 a can, I would recommend giving it a try: http://www.eagleone.com/_products/0,1035605.asp You should be able to do SEVERAL cars/trucks with one can. If you go to your local Auto Zone, they should have it to.

Phil
Old 09-26-2004, 02:24 AM
powder_king

Also if you have a rotary tool go down and pick up some paste polish and polising pads for it and use that. It will give you a faster and better finish
Old 09-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

If you have some kind of buffer believe it or not Tooth Paste works[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 09-26-2004, 12:02 PM
BadDirtRider

Move the part not the tool, for power polishing small to medium parts I always use my bench grinder with a buffing wheel attached.
If you have the space the're pretty cheap, Bout $20 to $30 at harber fright tools.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:12 AM
fhm101

Be careful with aluminum, too much speed on your wheel will burn it. Ideal wheel speed is around 1850 rpm. One way to get a good finish for cheap is to get a 3/8" vsr drill and use the Dico pads made to fit a small arbor. You then get an arbor made to chuck up in a drill, mount your buff, compound it up and go to town. Most of the plate should polish right up, but the trick is the rough edges and scratched areas. If you used sandpaper to strip the plate you will have to get all the sanding scratches out before you can get the mirror finish you want.

Almost forgot, you will need compound. Sears sells a set of 4 different bars made just for polishing metals. Get one of these sets and follow the instructions.