Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to make 1/4 triangular stock?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to make 1/4 triangular stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make 1/4 triangular stock?

Anybody have a good way to make 1/4 triangular stock used to reinforce joints? Years ago I made up a small jug with a #11 blade but a recent attempt to do that wasn't fully successful.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How to make 1/4 triangular stock?

ORIGINAL: Stripes

Anybody have a good way to make 1/4 triangular stock used to reinforce joints? Years ago I made up a small jug with a #11 blade but a recent attempt to do that wasn't fully successful.
Yeah, I go to the Hobby Shop and give 'em these pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents on 'em and they give me whatever kind of wood I want...

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a band saw ,then set the table at a 45 degree angle.
Set up a guide to keep the stock your cutting running straight.

If you don't have a band saw I suggest you do the dead president thing.

Regards
Roby
Old 09-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Balsa Master

do u no what the bandsaw kerf is gonna do to a 1/4 piece of balsa? ur gonna have a 3/16 piece of balsa after that one... try this... take 2 pieces of right angle stock and glue them to a FLAT piece of ply so that they are opposite eachother |\/| like that and mount a razor blade FACING DOWN SO YOU DONT DICE YOURSELF UP!!! in the middle so now you have this |\|/| then run your stock through it... note, use sand paper to rough up the xacto blade then epozy to the jig so its VERY secure or your triangle stock will be nice and wavvy!

although ima bet that since you probably not buying your balsa in bulk... the odds are that its cheaper and easier to hand over pictures of dead guys to the dude at your LHS

blue is blade, yelow is ply,green is HARD balsa
Old 09-26-2004, 08:50 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

No it isn't easier to hand over pictures of dead guys. At least not for the truly cheap,. . . that is I mean frugal. It just seems like a real waste to have a box of scrap balsa then go out and buy something so simple as triangle stock. Especially if you already own a Master Airscrew balsa stripper and make your own sticks that way. I would love to see something like that which cuts at a 45 degree angle.

I like the idea of angle stock. Good suggestion. I just happen to have some aluminum angle stock that was the body of a Spad last year. I don't see why we couldn't support the blade on top as well as at the bottom. Picture an arm that comes in from one side and provides a mount for the blade. It could use that little hole in the #11 for a mounting screw then at the bottom just a slot locating the blade. Balsa sheets could be slid past on the side opposite the support arm. The mounting arm could provide some modicum of protection from the blade too.

Hadn't thought of aluminum stock - good one.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:53 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Stripes

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46379

Doesn't have a tilting table, and set-up is something of a fiddle, but with the appropriate jigs (that you only have to make once) you can rip common shapes and sizes at will. Silly thing almost fits in a shoe box, and despite it's mainland Chinese heritage it ain't a bad little (and I do mean _little_) table saw.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:32 AM
forfun42us

Have not thied this but you may be able to use a cutter made for mats for picture frames. I belive they not only will take a #11 blade but as I remeber they will haold it at a 45 degree angle.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Neophyte

Why not seat the 1/4" balsa IN the brass/aluminum angle stock then shave/sand off the excess? Go slow, use a SHARP blade and pay attention to grain run-out so your blade doesn't 'lift' a chunk of wood. YES, 1/2 of the balsa is going to be WASTE but, that's the price we pay for having fun. Usually, hand/tool pressure is all that is needed to keep the balsa seated in the metal. If you need long lengths, work up something to support the whole thing.
Dave A.
Key West, FL
Old 10-04-2004, 04:31 AM
AlphaWhisky

All this sounds too complicated for me. Being a simple DIY Kiwi I made up my own jig and cut all my own triangular stock as required.

I started with a 6" length of scrap 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16" ali. angle and a piece of MDF board 6" long x 3" wide x3/4". My friendly joinery shop cut a triangular groove full length along this into which I epoxied the ali angle - apex down and open side up of course!

I hold this jig centered on and close to the blade of my Dremel jigsaw for small stuff or the bandsaw for larger stock with one hand and feed the square stock through this into the blade with the other - simple, cheap. accurate!

Alan W