Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Horizontal Stabilizer Braces

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Horizontal Stabilizer Braces

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:44 PM
jdiprofio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horizontal Stabilizer Braces

Hi there.

I have recently purchased an ARF and need a Horizontal Stabilizer Braces solution. Is there a pre-fab solution out there that I can purchase?

Cheers,
Joe
Old 09-27-2004, 07:21 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Horizontal Stabilizer Braces

Don’t know about a pre-fab solution. I am adding horizontal bracing tonight and am using 2-56 threaded rod threaded one end with a clevis and a soldered clevis on the other end. It does require making small aluminum straps or finding steel landing gear straps.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:45 PM
jdiprofio

Thanks Bill,

Seems to be the common plan. I shall deploy it.....

Cheers,
Joe
Old 09-27-2004, 09:01 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

If you're using metal braces, you want to avoid having a continuous loop of metal, as this will act as a radio signal reflector, potential glitch problem. Sullivan has a kit using kevlar thread, everything in tension all around. I have used the airfoil shaped birch sticks from my LHS, made up little aluminum connector straps at either end. Finish the sticks with monokote and they look nice, aerodynamically clean. I shy away from adding anything metal to the tail, because a little bit of tailweight takes a lot of noseweight to balance. The Funtana 90 ARF uses carbon fiber rods simply embedded in the wood (and glued), bracing on the bottom sides of the stabs only.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:07 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished and it took less time than a drive to the hobby shop. Lost one of the straps and had to make another. One solder joint was not to my liking but used it anyway. Will be more careful next time. No one will know but me.

Bill