Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Starting magneto gassers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 01:01 AM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting magneto gassers

I'm new to gas engines and recently picked up a used mustang 50. I was having serious trouble starting it, flipping till soaked with sweat. I choked it, flipped till it popped, then opened the choke and flipped some more, but no fire. I researched the past threads here for starting tips (especially with magneto engines) and have seen everything from people using bats to flip a prop to spark assist systems. Most of the options involved spending significant money for things like electric starters.

After ensuring that I was getting a spark (although a weak one) I solved my starting problems with a very small shot of carb cleaner / starter. The thing starts easily (after choking to get fuel in the carb) with just a few flips after a shot of the stuff and runs great.

Does anyone else do this? Am I damaging the engine? I was just surprised that I hadn't seen this option mentioned in my previous searches (although no too thorough).

Jason
Old 08-07-2002, 02:08 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I had to install a spring on my engine to start it. While I don't know if starter fluid is the best thing to use, I would recommend checking if you can get a spring for your engine.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:05 AM
Pelle Gris

Hi Jason...

I don´t have a Mustang 50 but a G-62, and I have found it to be very easy to start. In my experience there are two things that has to be present for the engine to start.

The first is gas. Using the built-in choke I rock the prop back and forth against the compression until gas is dripping from the carb, and the engine makes a slight "squishy" sound.
After that it´s just a matter of starting the beast... On my engine the prop is mounted so that when compression is felt the prop is vertical. To get the engine to fire I swing the prop from about a 2 o´clock position and follow through till about 9 o´clock. It usually doesn´t take more than 4-6 flips to get it startet.

I´m not sure that a Mustang 50 is completely similar to a G-62 startingwise, but being a magneto engine I guess it´s about the same.

Good luck
Old 08-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Golden Blunder

Fishstyx
Like yourself i got my first gasser recently a G62 .First have a
look where the magnets are on the fly wheel.Now what you need to do is place the prop in a position where you can swing the
magnets past the pick up coil as fast as posible and follow through compression .If the engine is cold it will need priming
with the choke .Use a gloved hand near the centre of the prop for
max speed.Once you have figured it out it"s fun. Take a look at
the gap between the flywheel and the pickup coil .This needs to
be as narrow as possible without touching for a easier start.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the starting fluid on my G-62. I have been told that it will damage the engine. I have been using it for about 10 years. The engine hasn't fallen apart yet, so I'm going to keep using it.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks MinnFlyer, that's the type of info I'm looking for. This is an older one and needs a little help. It doesn't make the best compression when cold and doesn't seem to pull a lot of fuel in the carb, even when choked. I seems like the starter fluid boost is needed to create enough vacuum in the carb to pull gas into it.

Of the other tips, I've moved to prop so it hits compression at 2:00 position (that helped alot) and will look into moving the magnets closer to the fly wheel. I should also replace the spark plug. Any ideas where I should get one?

Jason