Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Electric
38.96%
Nitro
61.04%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Electric or Nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:42 AM
forewheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric or Nitro?

Dont know if its been done. But which do you perfer.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Losidude_2

Default RE: Electric or Nitro?

This poll has been done numerous times.

I preffer Electric, its lower in cost and most people think its slower than Nitro but with the right equipment it can be just as fast. Thats why i like electric, cheaper, but just as fast. I guess
Old 10-03-2004, 12:22 PM
sarpiparpi

but less run time
Old 10-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

We have all types of tracks in our area & Electric VS Nitro is about 50-50 some of us have both. How do you plan on useing one or do you already own one.
You can PM me or Email me im only 10 miles from you
Old 10-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitro - not always more expensive. You get 15min standard runtime, instant refueling, power on demand, no power dropoff at the end of the run, the smell, noise, realism, and you can drive in mud! And I think it's better for the environment, depending on which type of fuel you use (gas or diesel are very good), because that electricity IS being produced somewhere else in the world, causing pollution there (and energy is lost in the process of getting it to the spur gear).

Oh and yeah, with nitro you can brag to non-rc'ers more than with electric (it has a real automatic transmission, disk brakes, runs on racecar fuel, bla bla!)

And at the end of the month, or day, you can take out the parts and just spray it all down with a hose! [8D]

I'm waiting for the day when people will be starting threads like:
Which do you prefer?
Nitro
Electric
hybrid nitro/electric car would be awesome!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:54 PM
05mustang

to make an electric as fast as a stock nitro isnt exactly cheap.
get a nitro
Old 11-20-2004, 09:55 PM
05mustang

i play drums too for 3 years. im a kid so no surprise. ive got a pearl set with paiste cymbals
Old 11-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Ahab

I went for electric, but it was a close run thing - I own both - but I went for electric because brushless motors are a new technology and have room to grow over the next few years, and with Battery technology coming on in leaps and bounds (Li-Po's) Nitro could become redundant in a few years (it wont people will always want a "propper" engine) but it has more room to grow....
Old 11-21-2004, 02:01 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I prefer nitro, but have cars of both types.

Nitro cars are fun but can be troublesome, mostly trying to get them started for the first run of the day. Other than that, its all good

I dont understand it, people are constanly going on that nitro cars cost so much more to run than electrics do, but Ive been using the same 12 dollar gallon of fuel for the past month, and Ive still got about 1/8th of it left. 12 dollars is certainly isnt enough to harp over after all where do you think all that power to charge them battery packs comes from ?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:09 AM
coolguy234

Just try to run an electric from 9am till 6pm without investing huge $$$ on batteries!

ahab, neither nitro nor elecric will ever bcom obsolete/redundant!

Get nitro its so much fun and much more versatile than electric! You can change the power produced just by playing with the needle valve or changing fuel. Doing all this will not cost a single $, unless u change the fuel which will cost only some bucks more!
Try doing that with an electric without spending lost of $$$!

You also got so many different types of engines with different horse power(dnt know for electric)!

Go with nitro, u wnt b dissapointed(provided you get the right info on running and maintaining your car)!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:08 AM
eye one

There is no substitution for the sound, sight and smell of a nitro engine, not to mention the power and run time. Nitro IMO.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:05 PM
EdsWords

I was sure nitro would win.

These polls always come down to a popularity contenst. For example: The T-Maxx is the most popular vehicle, but that does not make it the best.

Same with electric vs nitro. Nitro is more popular but I think electric is better. Buy a good esc, 2 good batteries, and you are set. A quality esc will outlast 2 or 3 or even more nitro engines. Oh, and since a nitro proponent mentioned it, I don't think that having to adjust carb needles to get your engine to just run properly is much of an advantage. The only real advantage nitro has over electric, and I will admit it is a significant one, is run times.

I have said this in every electirc vs nitro poll and the nitro guys never have an answer:
With nitro, you still have to charge glo plugs, receiver packs, and starter boxes. So what's the point of that? If you need all of those batteries just to run, you might as well go with an electric vehicle!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:19 PM
coolguy234

ORIGINAL: EdsWords

I have said this in every electirc vs nitro poll and the nitro guys never have an answer:
With nitro, you still have to charge glo plugs, receiver packs, and starter boxes. So what's the point of that? If you need all of those batteries just to run, you might as well go with an electric vehicle!

I charge my glow starter only every month(4Ah Battery) it takes me 8hrs and i lend it to most of the guys here to use, I charge a reveiver pack for 2 hrs and use it all day and ive got a pull starter in most of my engines. So i dnt see any "all of those batteries just to run"!

Nitro is just better and quicker to get along!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:42 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

electric is better cuase u don't have 2 buy nitro!....and there less mantiance in a electric car and electric cars have way more torque...trust me my evader st smoked my frineds t-maxx on my track and i have a reedy quad mag 19t! it's true!... and the fastest electric r/c car was faster then the fastest nitro powered car... yea nitros have longer runs time.... but IMO electirc cras are faster and better! and even in a straight line race he's faster but by tops 6 mph.... cuase i can top 34-36 mph!
Old 11-21-2004, 05:17 PM
nitromacguyver

each one has its pros and cons but i am an nitro fan because for me, its almost as much fun working on my car as it is driving it.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
EdsWords

Receiver packs that last 24 hours and glo plugs batteries that last 30 days? Based upon those facts, I guess I will have to concede this argument to the nitro guys. Sorry, if anyone was mislead by my post.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Ahab

ORIGINAL: coolguy234

ahab, neither nitro nor elecric will ever bcom obsolete/redundant!

I agree that it wont, but because people will still want both. However as soon as you can get Battery life to a point where you have charged you next batt in the time it takes to drain your current one the nitro advantage of fast refueling is lost (and with laptop/mobile phone technology being such big business many many more $$ is being put into rechargable battery technology that ever has been put into RC Nitro engines - RC just gets the benifits)
and with brushless motors producing comparable performance to nitro the power of nitro is being deminished.

The technology of the Nitro engine is pretty static, I would suspect that based on current technology nitro has achieved 98% of the max performance it will ever acheive... I would guess brushless is still in the 70% range....

Sure you dont get the smell, the sound - the feeling of achievement when you get your savage to run through a whole tank of gas after breakin (perhaps thats just me), from electric, but I can still see nitro being "technicaly" redundant in a few years...

Ahab
Old 11-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Pinolelst

I was out today bashing my lst with some friends who have Revos.The lst suffered a fatal shock shaft falure mid -day and I brought out my Losi xxxt mf2 (Novak GTX Trinity D5 10 turn double 16 tooth pinion 7 cell 3300 nimh) as a lark and raced the revos around a loose dirt and grass oval course about 80' long x 20' wide or so and was surprised that early on while my pack was fresh I had no problem running with them and even passing them in the straights.One guy blamed it on his revo not running right (which it wasn't) but the healthier Revo still couldn't keep up with me.That lasted about 4 minutes though,,after that I could just hang with them for another lap or two and then it was all over but for the large weight challenged lady singing [&:]
Old 11-21-2004, 10:56 PM
}{unter

This is why Most of us own BOTH lol

There both fun no matter what it is. If u get board u will play with walmart R/C's [X(]

}{unter
Old 11-22-2004, 12:00 AM
ITHURTZ
Banned

its true. i jumped my tyco grave digger of the garage roof. took 5 jumps before something broke. took 6 jumps for the body to come off. took 7 jumps to break the steering chassis.. but it still drove. i wasnt jumpin it off onto grass either. I jumped it into the fire pit, onto the fence, snowmoble, ladder, corner of the garage anything to bust it...

dam mammoth takes one hit in the tele pole and is down.. PPFFTT!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 AM
pritch

I prefer electric, but IMO it's different for everyone. Neither is better. For me, I'm in quite a built up area and I like slow driving over technical areas that are often slippery, so electric is good for torque, hence my E-Maxx with monster max motors. I started with a Savage 25, and though it was a great truck, it just wasn't right for me. So it's different for everyone.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 PM
CapUSA

ORIGINAL: 05mustang

i play drums too for 3 years. im a kid so no surprise. ive got a pearl set with paiste cymbals
Don't know what that was about but, I've played drums for 1.5 years and have a black gretch with sabian cymbals. I race electric, but want to get a nitro truck.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:26 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CapUSA

ORIGINAL: 05mustang

Don't know what that was about but, I've played drums for 1.5 years and have a black gretch with sabian cymbals. I race electric, but want to get a nitro truck.
Hey, I've been playing drums for 7 years now, the last 2-3 years being 100% jazz. I play an older Ferrari Red Pearl Export kit (early 90's?), Ludwig 1967 Acrolite snare, Mostly Zildjian A's, a K-cons ride and a couple of wuhans. I'm currently working on a Piper Cub airplane, but I have raced electric buggies, drove nitro onroad, owned a heli, and flown other planes previously I like R/C in general!

And I prefer NITRO! (Also Birch shelled 10-12-14ft-20-14x5 drumkits in lacquer finishes)
Old 11-23-2004, 06:06 PM
XDeathReborn

While both have it's advantage, for the cost-efficient "RCer" (aka cheap/poor) electric is much more popular. A decent RTR will cost you ~170-200 (Evader, Sprint), and the speed will keep you happy. For advanced racing, there's a great deal of selection (I'm a fan of the XRays, and the Associated Stealth is great, and the list goes on).

Nitro, on the other hand, is much more expensive off the bat. Most RTRs will cost anywhere from 200-500 entry level. Also, the noise and smell isn't always a good thing. Many people don't have RC tracks to go race at, and they're restriced to the local park and/or their backyard. With an electric, no one around takes a second glance, but the noise and odor generated by them may offend neighbors and/or the local people may complain to the cops and get it banned (if it hasn't already). Lastly, the racing level (from my POV, not trying to offend anyone) seems to be a bit limited. Price aside (Racing kit for electric will all required components: 400-500 dollars. Nitro high end kit: 400-500 just for the kit, minus radio and receiver battery), most of Nitro RC has been confined to monster trucks and stadium trucks. There are great racing buggies (Kanai anyone?), but are upwards of 700 for just the kit.

As for the cost over time- while electric RC does take up energy to run, it's undercover. Most people don't take special notice on their electrical bill for charging batteries. Fuel, on the other hand, stares you in the face: it's right on the receipt when you pay for it.

Lastly, regarding the time between runs- get yourself the luxury of a dual charger. At 70-100 bucks, you can discharge one pack, rest one pack, charge another pack, and run one. (If you don't wanna buy 4 batteries, there's run one, rest one, charge one, discharge after every day, or even for just two packs, there's race one, charge one, but charging like that may overload your batteries). Cost is comparative- a good field box for electric is: a few packs, a field battery for your charger (but if you race near your house that shouldn't be a problem... and there's always your car battery), and your car. That's it. For your glow, you need: your battery pack for reciever, fuel, a fuel bottle, and a starter box (unless you wanna pull-start, which is tedious and defeats the purpose of fast refueling). So it equals out for the most part.

Now planes are a different story........
Old 11-25-2004, 03:39 PM
coolguy234

ORIGINAL: EdsWords

Receiver packs that last 24 hours and glo plugs batteries that last 30 days? Based upon those facts, I guess I will have to concede this argument to the nitro guys. Sorry, if anyone was mislead by my post.
Do your maths, i said i play from 9am till 7pm, it doesnt make 24 hrs!
I built a pack with 5 2000mAh AA cells, it makes the pack 10 000 mAh! At the end of the day my pack has still got 2/5 of its capacity!

My glow plug heater is a 4000 mAh battery(Ripmax), I didnt say it lasts 30 days, just 4 weekends! It takes only 10sec max to start a car, why won't it last??

ORIGINAL: ahab
I agree that it wont, but because people will still want both. However as soon as you can get Battery life to a point where you have charged you next....redundant in a few years...

Most, if not all, of those who run nitro find 70% of the fun repairing and tuning their car and 30% running it!
Besides, i dnt know if the technology allowing you to charge a batt as quickly as can drain it has already been developped! Even if it exists, nitro wont be redundant even for the next few decades!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.