Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Parkinson CF-105

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Parkinson CF-105

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 09:38 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkinson CF-105

Anyone have any experience with this plane they'd care to share? Have a soft spot in my heart for the Arrow and would like to build one. This kit is all I've found. TIA

Murray
Old 08-09-2002, 03:11 AM
NCC-1701

Default Parkinson CF-105

I'm not sure if he's still operating. There were several posts here that since his wife passed away, he wasn't responding to e-mails or filling orders.

My info is a bit dated, but his original CF-105 was built around the Byron fan. His Regal Eagle and blue Hornet both had good reputations as grass field fliers. The downside to Parkinson kits is the instructions were not as complete as they should have been and since these are built up kits, much work was required.

You might post a wanted ad in the jets for sale/wanted forum, or check e-bay. I think he was the only one who kitted an Arrow. So, if you don't mind a builder's kit, go for it.

Rob
Old 08-09-2002, 04:07 AM
pilotkelowna

Default Parkinson CF-105

Murray:

There is a company up here that was making the Arrow kit - Fhybr Models. You may wish to contact the owner. Link to their website is found at www.avroarrow.org , and links to many other Avro Arrow sites. Am an Arrow freak myself, and have every book published on the Aircraft.

Brian
Old 08-09-2002, 01:09 PM
RC_Fanatic

Default Parkinson CF-105

Thanks for the info. I've emailed Parkinson with no response and the Fhybr kit is sold out. I'll try the wanted ads.

The whole Arrow fiasco was a damn shame. My blood still boils over it. Also have all the books I could find, mouse pad, T-shirt...

Murray
Old 09-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Mark DiMonte
My Feedback: (2)

Default Avro arrow

I have designed and built one that is a .45 pusher that could be modified for df or jet. Interested ? I am currently selling the plans to a coupple other guys. MAD out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26435_7190.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	13009  
Old 09-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Jetset

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Arrow

pilotkelowna,
Thanks for that terrific link! Some great info there! I didn't even know that they tested the models right in my here in my home town! Excellent!
Myles
Old 09-26-2002, 12:56 AM
floyd955

Default Bob Parkinson Flying Models

Bob is making models again and has his own web site at www.rcjets.com.
I just lost my Avro to a self induced crash. I liked it so much that I am going to get another one. Mine was the all balsa version and came out at 10 3/4 pounds with fixed gear. Flew extreemly well and was stable as it could be. No bad habits were detected at all. Excelent climb rate, excelent roll rate and was easy to land. Had a Rossi .81 with a byro-fan. I only wish that I had put retracts in but the next one will have them. This will add about 1/2 pound to the airframe but I don't think thats going to have a large effect on the performance.
Good Luck
Floyd
P.S. Bobs site has some good pic's on his aircraft.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:41 AM
pecojets

Default Bob Parkinson :where are you?

i need to contact Bob parkinson. please help!!!!!!!!
called him ,emailed , fax him for the last six months and nothing.any member living in canada area that can help me? or some body living near him? i khow he still in bussines but is impossible to find him .
i want to build my jaguar and dont want to use the plastic fan that came with the kit as already some friends advice me that it will crack.i will use a ramtec but it will need a special plastic fan formers .
also will like to buy from him a avrow.as far as i khow hi is the only one that makes one

pecojets
Old 03-17-2003, 05:21 PM
byrocat

Default Parkinson Arrow

Bob's Arrow was the first df Arrow model that I'd seen or heard of (even twenty years later, I still haven't herad of one earlier.)

Being kind, it is a SWO (Stand Way Off) Scale, as the fuselage is 1:1, and not the 1:2 ratio of the original. In addition, it was a typical model of its period (early Byron) so the fuselage is completely open and had a bottom-side cheat hole.

The landing gear is spindly, due to the sheer lengths needed. I fyou want to fudge things a bit, shortening them one or two inches does improve the overall handling at the cost of full rotation.

Burlington 84 was the first time that I saw it flying, and over the next year, I saw about another three or four. Definitely using the largest engine is recommended, especially for longer grass runways (the ones I saw used the .60 and .77 engines).

The big wing (thickness and chord) tended to keep speeds down but was just as prone to the delta-air-brake problem in making turns.

If you can get your hands on a Regal Eagle, that would be my recommendation.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:06 PM
RC_Fanatic

Default Parkinson CF-105

Byrocat

Not sure what you mean by the fuselage ratios. (1:1 vs 2:1) or by the "delta-air-brake problem in making turns" Would you please explain? TIA

Murray
Old 03-17-2003, 11:06 PM
byrocat

Default Parkinson CF-105

take a look at a 3-view and measure the width of the fuselage to the height. The full-size had a 1:2 (one high to two wide) ratio (just tall enough for engines and plumbing plus other monor bits and pieces.

Bob's Arrow too a single Byron fan unit (byroblaster). That wook a scale width but left the fuselage square (1:1 ratio). Made it look like a pregnant guppy rather than a barracuda that the original looked like, in the side-view.

But then , the model was stand-off scale and not intended for rear competition.

Biggest headache of the real and model designs are the landing gear. If they'd copied the Russian scheme with fuselage-mojnted mains, the problems would have been a lot simpler.

One of the goofs by the design team, hind-sight being 20-20.....
Old 03-17-2003, 11:23 PM
RC_Fanatic

Default Parkinson CF-105

Thanks for the explanation. That would make the plane look rather odd!

What was the "delta-air-brake problem in making turns" issue that you referred to? I've never flown a delta so am not familiar with their characteristics. I'm planning to build a pusher (.46) version of the Arrow designed by a fellow in Canada soon. That one looks closer to scale (at least the fuselage) but the wing is too thin for retracts. Figured I'd start with a pusher first. Less invested!

As I recall, they had problems on the original with the gear collapsing!

Murray
Old 03-18-2003, 01:10 PM
KevinM

Default Parkinson CF-105

Murray,

The problem was not with the main gear collapsing, however that was ultimately the result in a couple of accidents during development.

There were in fact two separate problems the Arrow experienced which caused some rather severe issues on landing. The first was a problem experienced by many early jets- ABS brakes locking up. I believe this resulted on one aircraft departing the runway on landing, causing noteworthy (but minor in the grand scheme of things) damage.

The second issue was with the mechanism that extended the gear- due to it's length and retraction angle, the main gear on the Arrow had to both twist and collapse in length (like a focus ring on a camera) when retracting. On one occasion, a chain got jammed during gear extension cycle, causing the main gear to be both short and out of alignment when the aircraft touched down. Needless to say, the added drag to one side caused the aircraft to veer off the runway quite quickly, snapping off at least one main gear leg when it hit the softer dirt at the side of the runway.

To date, no one has completely accurately modeled the gear on this aircraft. (Although qudos are due to John at Fyber Models for an excellent job.)
Old 03-18-2003, 11:35 PM
byrocat

Default What was the "delta-air-brake problem in making turns" issue that you referred to?

Essentially, a delta provides a great deal of lift and is almost impossible to stall (i've seen it and it's not pretty.)

Delta wings wind up being a major stubling block in high-bank-angle turns, when they bleed off speed very quickly.

In the cae of my NorthStar, I made the mistake of going for a pylon turn at about 50 feet of altitude immediately after realizing that I was deadstick (other planes in the distance disguised the loss of my engine.) This happened on a aborted approach and past the far field boundary.

Rather than letting the plane go straight ahead and prang in the wheat field, I opted for the bone-head pylon turn, intending to make a downwind landing on the field.

The wings got almost level when I ran out of airspeed (the delta-air-brake effect). The plane dropped straight down and impacted slightly nose-down. This caused the fin to rotate forward through the top of the wing. The damage was just too much to repair.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:11 AM
RC_Fanatic

Default Parkinson CF-105

Thanks for the explanation. Definitely something to keep in mind!

Murray
Old 03-30-2004, 06:57 AM
BPM

Default RE: Parkinson CF-105

Hi Murray,
I have checked and did not receive E-mail from you regarding the arrow.
It is available and I would like to talk to you about it.
E-mail [email protected] please usr uper case BPFM
Bob
Old 03-30-2004, 07:09 AM
BPM

Default RE: Bob Parkinson :where are you?

Hi , Many modelers say they can not find me.
I have a website, rcjets.com.
You can find me on Yahoo, just type bob parkinson.
Any way I have given out my E-mail to many modelers to help them and only 3 have asked for help in the last week, I gave them the answers and will do the same for you if you E-mail.
My phone is 705 727 1340 but you might have to leave a message,
If i am vacuforming I will not hear the phone or see the light.
Bob Parkinson
Old 03-30-2004, 12:10 PM
pecojets

Default RE: Bob Parkinson :where are you?

thanks Bob for joing rc universe !!!!

Lot of fans lovers looking for you lately