Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Twin-engine radio control

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 10:10 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin-engine radio control

If you are attempting to control twin or triple engines with a JR 652 radio your findings would be helpful. I have been moderately successful but maybe in bizarre way. I will be glad to share my findings if interest exists.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Twin-engine radio control

Bill,,
We are always interested in hearing what others do and how they go about
doing it.... So please do post on your attempts..

Robby
Old 10-06-2004, 10:05 PM
BillS

Three engines are in a Senior Kadet. The center engine set up was not changed from the first 26 successful flights.

JR 652 radio.
I slaved channel 5 to channel 1 using Mix A and switch E (left outboard engine). Then slaved 6 to 1 using Mix B and switch A (right outboard engine). Then set the gear travel to zero in both directions and the flap travel to zero in both directions. Move the throttle and the throttle trim to the minimum positions. It is important to set mix offsets at this time (not before the above steps). Plug left engine into channel 5 and right engine into channel 6. Then the amount of Mix was set for A and for B while watching the carburetor barrel movement. It is possible that you might need to change normal/reverse and start over.

Switch E is on the left side of the transmitter and switch A is on the right which corresponds to engine location.

The following capability exists.
Switch E off drops the left engine to idle and A drops the right to idle. Now left or right or both simulated engine shutdown can be done at any throttle setting or speed. If trouble develops after a simulated shutdown simply return the switch back to the on position.

After flying with simulated left out, right out and both out no serious trouble developed. Apparently the center engine is adding a remarkable amount of stability.

A golden rule for multi engines: If trouble develops throttle back and treat it like a dead stick. Do it early.

If this hasn’t become too complicated a bizarre method exists to shut the center engine down first while maintaining outboards running. I am beginning to discover that that it is important to shut the center engine down before experimenting with the outboards. Remember the golden rule and have fun. The twin disease is bad.

One, two and three have been shut down in almost all possible combinations and no serious trouble has developed. The Kadet is a great platform for experimentation.

I knew up front that a JR 652 was not enough radio but it was in the airframe when finished and for 26 single engine flights. For the record I have four other more capable Futaba computer radios but wanted to understand JR programming. Radio systems generally are all complex, poorly documented and often give unexpected results.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:07 PM
BillS

Oops, forgot first flight movie.
http://engsw.com/bill.html
Old 10-10-2004, 05:46 PM
fox35
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting experiments. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:22 PM
BillS

Now a significant number of flights have been accumulated with simulated #2 and #3 out and a few real shutdowns due to forgetting which switch does what or maybe simply stupidity.

Triples are a great way to learn to fly twins safely. Highly recommended. Several others have been invited to fly while I controlled the shutdown switches. The twin/triple disease is spreading. The first few times #2 was brought back up a 50-foot contrail was apparent. Today it was discovered that if you fly hard and fast down the runway and bring #2 back to full power it is like turning afterburners on. What a thrill.

Bill