Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hinges with pins

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hinges with pins

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 10:17 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinges with pins

I'm putting together an ARF that came with a hinge I haven't used before. The hinge epoxies in and has a pin that joins the two halves.

The pin is L shaped and comes out if I pull it. Picture is below.

Question is:
Do leave the L part free to move between the control surfaces? That would allow me to remove the control surface by just pulling it out. But that also worries me that it might come out on it's own.

Or do I epoxy it into the wing with one side of the hinge?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20727_3288.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	13083  
Old 08-10-2002, 01:42 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hinges with pins

There might be a good reason for making a hinge pin this way, but I have never found out what it is....

The pin is stuck into either the wing or control surface...don't leave it loose.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:07 PM
lynngordon

Default Hinges with pins

If you do not stick the L shaped part of the pin into either surface, it will come out in flight and you will re-kit your plane. I've been using them for years and love them. I usually put them into the wing or stab vice the control surface - no particular reason - at the same time I exoxy the hinge into the plane. I also coat the pins and hinge lines with petroleum jelly (but not the L that sticks into the wood) when I put them together to keep the epoxy from sticking to them .

Lynn