Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

3m CA Extra - Landing Gear Question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3m CA Extra - Landing Gear Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3m CA Extra - Landing Gear Question

One of the landing gear bolts came lose in my 3M Composte Arf Extra - it just spins. Does anyone know if the bolt threads into a blind nut (I assume it does) and if there is anyway to access it (ie grab with plyers) without cutting a hole in the bottom of the fuse??? I don't see or hear the blind nut floating anywhere in the bottom of the fuse under that mounting plate, so I assume it's still threaded into the bolt.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:16 PM
UNLDAVE
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 3m CA Extra - Landing Gear Question

Hi Vert,

1.Can you remove the loose bolt...or is it stuck in the blind nut???
2.Are you using the factory option rudder servo tray?? if so access is very limited to the blind nuts... A hole in the bottom is probably going to be the fastest...
3. If you're really lucky you can lift up on the bolt and the blind nut will still be attached...Just lift and tighten the bolt at the same time until the blind nut is reseated..
4....If the blint nut is cross threaded onto the bolt ..you might have to Dremel the head of the bolt and push the b-nut back through...
5. You can also feed through a new blind nut with some small zipties.....
6.. Finally, if the blind nut is cross threaded and spinning , when the new blindnut gets installed..BE Sure to check that the holes in the gear leg are properly drilled so that all 3 bolts fit loosely and the gear can move a bit on the 3 bolts before tightening...

Best of luck, Dave
Old 10-11-2004, 08:19 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I see Drew sitting on the side of the bed tonight........ Head hung low.
Wife ask's...

"Drew, whats wrong? This has never happened to you before..."
Old 10-11-2004, 08:24 PM
going vert

Wayne - here I am researching the best glues out there.... No work or s.. for me. I think this is the best stuff money can buy http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...products_id=52 I'm going to glue the plate and CF it also.

Have any recommendations on CF weight? What about this http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=390

Wish me luck tonight - I hope I can get the blood flowing!
Old 10-11-2004, 09:09 PM
going vert

ORIGINAL: hekter-RCU

Hi Vert,

1.Can you remove the loose bolt...or is it stuck in the blind nut???
2.Are you using the factory option rudder servo tray?? if so access is very limited to the blind nuts... A hole in the bottom is probably going to be the fastest...
3. If you're really lucky you can lift up on the bolt and the blind nut will still be attached...Just lift and tighten the bolt at the same time until the blind nut is reseated..
4....If the blint nut is cross threaded onto the bolt ..you might have to Dremel the head of the bolt and push the b-nut back through...
5. You can also feed through a new blind nut with some small zipties.....
6.. Finally, if the blind nut is cross threaded and spinning , when the new blindnut gets installed..BE Sure to check that the holes in the gear leg are properly drilled so that all 3 bolts fit loosely and the gear can move a bit on the 3 bolts before tightening...

Best of luck, Dave
Dave - what weight Carbon Fiber should I use to repair a broken landing gear plate on this bird. I got the blind nut back in there, but the mounting plate is broken.

Thanks
Drew
Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 PM
UNLDAVE
My Feedback: (2)

Vert,

If your plate is broken,Go to the Comp-arf website and get the replacement assy..It won't take long to fix...
The reason i say to replace the whole thing is that once the plate has been compromised and repaired all it will take is one hard landing to break it again plus you'll have to fix the sides of the fuse where the gear chews nto it...

Dave
Old 10-11-2004, 10:32 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Much easier to do the fix than throw in a new assembly.
He really only has about an hour worth of work to get it RTF again.

The plane flew like this for several flights.