Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Tiger 60 Cowl ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Tiger 60 Cowl ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:17 AM
R84n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 60 Cowl ?

Has anyone seen any good looking cowls on
the front of a Tiger 60. I have a Saito .91 in it.

I flew it for the first time this weekend. It was
a Blast !
Old 10-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Rod Robbins

Default RE: Tiger 60 Cowl ?

I don't know of any commercially available cowls for the Tiger 60, but here's a few photos of a homemade cowl I fabricated for my own T60. The cowl itself began life as a large size Scope mouthwash jug...

http://www.jr45.com/qd/t60/DSCF0006-w.jpg
http://www.jr45.com/qd/t60/DSCF0009-w.jpg
http://www.jr45.com/qd/t60/DSCF0011-w.jpg
http://www.jr45.com/qd/t60/DSCF0012-w.jpg
http://www.jr45.com/qd/t60/DSCF0013-w.jpg

First, I side-mounted the engine (which incidentally gave smoother overall performance from the O.S. FS-70, probably because the carb is more in line with fuel tank centerline). Then I cut the mouthwash jug for length and began slowly Dremel-ling out the openings with the sander drum tool. The paint is good, old Rustoleum spray rattle-can, off the shelf. I lucked out and it happened to match the covering perfectly. I finished it off with the red monocote trim to match the plane.

Almost always gets nice comments at the field, especially from T2 and T60 afficiandos...

Hope this helps...

-- Rod
Old 10-12-2004, 02:52 PM
chem16

How did your tiger 60 perform with the OS 70. I currently have a saito 72 and waiting for the tiger 60 arf to come in. I have read a thousand post where people are putting saito 100's and saito 91's in this plane to get good performance. Do you believe there is a need for such a large engine in this plane. I'm confused, I have a saito 100 I could put in the plane, but would rather install the 72. Let me know how performance and flight time was on your setup.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:09 PM
R84n

Thanks for sharing your Cowl. That does look good. A Cowl does
so much for a plane.

The other poster asked about a Saito 72 on this plane. I can say
that the 91 had plenty of extra power. I haven't gotten totally comfortable
with the plane yet but I can tell I can hover it.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:15 PM
ICE_MAN

My saito 91 hovers my T60. but if you wat kE or much rudder athority at all you need to build a larger ruder. it seems no matter how much thrust i have the thing wont KE for long.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Rod Robbins

ORIGINAL: chem16

How did your tiger 60 perform with the OS 70. I currently have a saito 72 and waiting for the tiger 60 arf to come in. I have read a thousand post where people are putting saito 100's and saito 91's in this plane to get good performance. Do you believe there is a need for such a large engine in this plane. I'm confused, I have a saito 100 I could put in the plane, but would rather install the 72. Let me know how performance and flight time was on your setup.
Mine flies very well with the FS-70. I use 10% Morgain Cool Power fuel and an APC 13x6 prop, which turns at about 10,300 rpm on the ground. The plane won't hover or do unlimited vertical with this combo, but it'll do very high, wide loops and most everything else a sport plane is supposed to do. I think it's a perfectly adequate engine on this plane for everyday flying. I once had a Magnum .91 four-stroke on this same plane and didn't really notice much difference, other than a deeper exhaust note.

I've seen a few Saito 72's at the field and I'm under the impression that the FS-70 has slightly more power, although I've got no scientific proof of that. Either engine should fly the plane well. It's a great plane for all around flying.

Good luck...

-- Rod