Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Beginning Control Line Stunt ?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Beginning Control Line Stunt ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:37 PM
MrSteve09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning Control Line Stunt ?

Hi All,...

The recent magazine issues have had quite a bit of Control Line coverage. For instance, Flying Models had a great write up of the Brodak Fly-In, and Model Aviation had good coverage of the Control Line World Championships. Reading about all this control line activity has got me all pumped up and inspired to do more with my control line involvement.

Currently I fly 1/2A planes two or three times a year. But now I'd like to get a serious 35-40 size stunt ship, (or at least something to learn stunt with) I can fly wingovers and a pretty bad egg shaped loop, but haven't been successful at inverted flight or out side manuevers. Therefore I think a stunt trainer might be in order.

Is there anything you can recommend? The local hobby shop has a Brodak Tomahawk kit in stock along with an O.S. 40LA-S. Would this be a good combination? Would anyone recommend the 40LA-S, or is there a better engine to start with? I don't mind building from kits or plans. Scratch building would be just fine with me, too!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,... Thanks

Signed,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 10-16-2004, 03:17 AM
telmore

Default RE: Beginning Control Line Stunt ?

Hi Steve!

An OS40LA is way too much for the Tomahawk a 25LA or even 20LA is a much better bet.

Tony
Old 10-16-2004, 08:00 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony, OS 20LA? Never saw one of those. They are not (yet?) available in the USA.

Steve, A lot depends on how proficient you are at building. Some people (most?) get so attached to their planes that they are afraid of crashing them. If that is not your case, by all means go with the Brodak Tomahawk and the LA 25-S.

You might also consider an RTF or a foamie to learn the pattern on, while you are building the Tomahawk.

The LA 25 is a well-liked engine.

George
Old 10-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Tomahawk was one of the planes I learned to fly on. I have an OS FP 35 on mine. It flies it nicely. An LA 25 would be great for it also. Its capable of doing the entire stunt pattern. The Brodak Tomahawk don't take that long to put together and is easy to build. He makes two versions of the Tomahawk now.
If you want to get in the air quick, the LA 40 would be perfect for the ARF Nobler. You just have to change a few things on the ARF. The Brodak Arfs would work well too, but they are all out of stock I think.
Ryan
Old 10-16-2004, 04:26 PM
telmore

Sorry George I meant a 20FP!

They don't do a 20LA!
Old 10-16-2004, 11:19 PM
MrSteve09

Hi All,...

Thank you very much for all the information and advice. I appreciate each of your opinions and points of view.

I was quite surprised to learn that a 40LS would be way to much for the Tomahawk! If I'm not misstaken, the specs. on the kit listed a 41 inch wing span with around 350 square inches. But then what do I know, I'm new to all this.

I haven't purchased anything yet, and I wasn't "married" to the idea of buying/building a Tomahawk. However since the 40LA-S is available and in stock at the local hobby shop I figured that would be an easy acquisition. Then I'd need a plane for it.

Any suggestions on what would be a good plane for the 40LA-S?? Any of the other Brodak kits suitable for that engine?? I believe I saw a Lightening Streak at the store as well. The Super Clown looks about right too, (only in my uneducated opinion, of course)

Please keep the suggestions and opinions coming, I truly appreciate them all.

Signed,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 10-17-2004, 02:40 AM
telmore

Hi Ryan!

I would've thought a 35FP on a Tomahawk was quite a handful too!

Hi Steve!

What do you wish to do Steve ARf , kit or scrachbuild from plans?

Profile or built up fuse?

For an LA40 how about a Brodak Cardinal - either ARF or Kit.

The Brodak site seems dead at the moment but here is a link:

http://www.brodak.com

Lots of good stuff here:

http://home.att.net/~philbrown36641s5/clhomepage.html

And you need to join PAMPA.

Tony

Tony
Old 10-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone tell him about the Ukeys?

Jim
Old 10-17-2004, 10:21 AM
telmore

For foamie arfs try:

http://home.earthlink.net/~philcartier/catalog.html

http://www.protech-aero.com/

http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co.uk/scan0013.jpg

They're all quick to assemble, easy and fun tofly and easy to repair!

Tony
Old 10-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

The OS 35 works really well in the Tomahawk, just needs some tail weight to balance it out.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:05 PM
fox4evr

Hi Steve,
I have a Tomahawk, (Tommyhawk) and it is one of my more fun fliers. It is powered with a Magnum 25 with a 9.5 prop. I had a Fox 35 on it, but it had way too much viberation, and kept going lean. Mind you, that this was after a couple of horrindous crashes that weakened the fuse. I would stay with the smaller engines and have a good time with less probs.
Lee TGD
Old 10-19-2004, 07:28 AM
cltom

The Great Planes/Top Flite manual for the Nobler ARF shows an OS 40LA-S, and how to put it in. Tower Hobbies sells it that way, too. Even a Fox 35 (the original, original) is not as good a choice as the OS 40LA-S. A Fox needs a long and careful break-in, and will not run well except on high castor fuels. High castor fuels are rare special orders these days, or hand mixed with your own separate bottle of castor.

Having said all of that, my personal preference would not be to jump right from 1/2A's to a full fuselage 35-40 sized airplane. The Flite Streak and OS 25LA-S combo from Tower Hobbies would be a much better choice. The profile style Flite Streak is much easier to work on and maintain - you can always get to the controls, fuel tank, and engine. Further, the OS 25LA-S will be much easier to master starting (not as scary to flip the prop) and will have less line pull. In the old days, I would've recommended a 15 size profile, but those engines and planes are not as prevalent anymore.