Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Which engine for Grat Planes Giant Aeromaster?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Which engine for Grat Planes Giant Aeromaster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Ekim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine for Grat Planes Giant Aeromaster?

Recently I purchased a Great Planes Giant Aeromaster kit from a fellow club member. For years now I've flown nothing but 4 strokes, but I've decided with this airplane I'm going to have to go to my first gas engine. Now the question is, which one? The fellow I bought the kit from suggested nothing less than something in the G-45 range. However I've done a little research and it seems I might want to try one of the electronic ignition engines. I only have about 6 5/8" width in the cowl of this plane so I thought maybe the DA-50 or the 3W-50, both with the carb in the rear, might be the way to go. The Fuji 50 and the BME 50 are electronic ignition but have a side mounted carb which would appear to stick outside my cowl by about a half inch. Anyone have any constructive suggestions or comments?

Ekim in Michigan
Old 10-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Floater-RCU

Default RE: Which engine for Grat Planes Giant Aeromaster?

Hi Ekim,
I have always liked that kit, just never got around to getting one before they stopped selling them! I think you would be very happy with the DA50 in this plane. But then again you are the one who will have to live with the choice so just get what you want. They are all good motors!
Floater.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 PM
promag

Hi Ekim

I also have a GP Giant Aeromaster in the box. I intend to use ZDZ .40 or a local manufactured .50 gas engine (Kroma 50).

I also have a OS BGX (glow) NIB but prefer gas.

Good luck!

Paulo
Old 10-19-2004, 08:19 PM
aeroflyer

Ekim I have a giant aeromaster with a G 45 in it and it flys very well. Vertical is not unlimited but for a first gasser it is a good combo, by the way it was my first gasser. The G 45 never gave me a problem , just break it in and take your time you will not be unhappy. Once primed it starts in about 3 to 4 flips . If your budget allows a megatron starter is nice, I bought one last year and it gets used alot ,beats flipping on hot August days. I proped mine with a 20x 8 airscrew classic, works for me. Good luck.
Paul
Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 PM
tomriddle
My Feedback: (3)

Ekim,

I bought my GA from Tower with the US 41...first gasser so I did not mind that it was a small engine. Putted around nicely and made for a very enjoyable combination for Sunday flying.

I am in the process of putting my BME50 on a GP Patty Wagstaff....I will try to measure the GA cowl and the BME and provide you with an opinion.

tom
Old 01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Ekim

Thanks Tom. I'll be looking forward to your findings.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Just completing the build of this plane, looking at a ZDZ60 for this. I have seen two of these fly and they are great the faster they fly
US 41 is good. BME 50 would be better, ZDZ 60 would be awesome!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me you can over due it engine-wise with the Giant Aeromaster. It is a great flying airplane, but the tail feathers are not buller proof. If your going to power this airplane with anything more than a US 41, be sure to install tail brace wires. Should the elevators flutter, as mine did you want the horizontal stab to stay on.

Just a little food for thought,

Dale

BTW, when the horizontal stab leaves it is quite a sight.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

The usual cause for elevator flutter is insufficient servo torque or hinge lines that are NOT sealed. Sealing hinge lines on any plane reduces the chance of flutter significantly. Also, improper hinging techniques as well. Trust me I will be installing tail brace wires on my plane as I have increased the size of the elevators by 1 inch as well as the rudder by 1.5 inches.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Ekim

On about page 6 under the ARF or RTF Forum there is some interesting discussion regarding the sealing hinge lines/flutter argument. As in many other aspects of our hobby, not all experts agree
Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a GA for 5 or so years(back when Tower first carried them), I bought the combo with the US41 and love the combination. Bad about this combo; it does not hold a hover longer than 10 seconds or so, not unlimited verticle. Good about this combo; with th rear mounted exhaust no big holes in the cowl(you do have the intake out the left side), very inexpensive motor(under $200 with and aluminium muffler, intake velocity stack, and starter spring), very reliable engine, no batteries to charge for electronic ignition.

I got one of the first US engines with the steel can muffler and relapced it with a B&B or something like that, more power, less space. I run a Wood 20X8, I think a Zinger and I would like to try a Mezlick or some more efficient prop at some time to seew if I can get more verticle.

Bottom line is the US41 works with this airplane especially for sunday flying.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM
tomriddle

Ekim,

Sorry for the delay...haven't forgot ya...had to do some painting last night to earn points toward my "kitchen pass".

I'll try to get the measurements tonight.

tom
Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Rocketeer10

A friend has been flying his for years and years with a Zenoah G-38 in the nose turning a 20x8 Zinger prop. plenty of ummphhhh!
GY
Old 01-12-2005, 07:12 PM
tomriddle

Ekim,

I am going to post a couple of photos to try to show the current US Engines installation on my GA and show how/where a BME 50 might fit...one thing to note, the BME 50 has mounting lugs on the side like a traditional glow engine. My opinion is that the BME will work fine, but whichever engine you go with, to minimize the cowl disruption, go with a muffler that fits behind the cylinder. Here is a view of the US Engines & Cowl on my Giant Aeromaster:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73444.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	214284  
Old 01-12-2005, 07:13 PM
tomriddle

Here is the BME held above the US Engines for comparison

Name:	Ec89462.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	214286  
Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
tomriddle

Here is the BME with the Giant Aeromaster cowl for comparison...the "banjo" muffler will likely fit pretty much inside the cowl, but I think you would be better off with a traditional(?) pitts type muffler (exhaust routed behind the cylinder). BME offers this as an option. The US engines 41 comes stock with a muffler behind the cylinder.

Hope this helps.

tom

Name:	Cz80159.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	214290  
Old 01-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Ekim

Thanks Tom. Your photos certainly show a good comparison and I appreciate your efforts. It sure looks like the BME would certainly work, and I agree with your Pitts style muffler idea. Thanks again. Nice looking cowl bye the way.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:25 AM
tomriddle

Ekim,

Thank you. I had fun building the plane...I bought it in 1998 or so, finished it in ~2000 and did not get it into the air until this year! (Move, Work, 9-11, club evicted from site, another move).

The GA flys great, looks good (gotta love bipes) and reasonable to transport.

I neglected to mention that the cowl is a little flexible and can be squeezed to fit over some obstructions while putting it on.

From what I have read, if you go with a BME 50, the GA should have lots of go compared to my US 41.

Best wishes,

tom