Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Cessna 182

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Cessna 182

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 07:33 PM
LuckyArmpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP Cessna 182

Anyone have a CMP Cessna 182 ARF? How's the build, quality, characteristics?
Just grabbed one off of EBAY for $72...
Always wanted to get one of these along with numerous other models but I figured the price aint too bad.
I have an OS .46 AX to throw into it (from my departed Hangar 9 Arrow). Just would like to hear about
other flyer's experiences with one.

Dave...
Old 10-28-2004, 09:35 PM
forestroke

Default RE: CMP Cessna 182

I had it and was very happy with it. The build quality was very good. Just be careful when you drill the holes for the wing dowels. They ask you to drill both the wing and the fuse.

It is absolutely beautiful in the sky. I sold mine when I left HK... and considering to purchase another one but no one here carries it.

Mine was slightly underpowered with a Magnum RFS 61 but yours should be fine with the 46AX.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:03 AM
LuckyArmpit

Forestroke, numerous cessna 182's can be had from ebay and raiden tech (www.raidentech.com I think).
It does look gorgeous! Everybody I know has Piper Cubs but no one has one of these.
I will look at the instructions closely about drilling the dowel holes. Thanx for the tip.

Dave...
Old 11-01-2004, 01:05 AM
forestroke

Thanks Lucky, but I was hoping to pick up a kit in Taiwan. Mail ordering will require me to pay taxes... and those are dollars I don't want to spend!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:54 AM
magyarbacsi

Forestroke, is this the exact model being sold on ebay? How was the flight characteristic of the plane and was there anything quirky about it? The .61 was under power, but a .46 os would not be?

I was thinking Royal .46 that is comparable to an os fx. I also have an RJ 61 that pulled my, now departed, Chipmunk vertical. I want to put floats on it as land flying is not currently available and I live almosy on the shores of Lk. Washington.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:49 PM
jvloyola

Hi I'm currenlty considering between the Great Planes and the CMP Cessna 182, I've searched the forums and there's not a lot of feed back on the CMP whereas there are a lot of happy GP 182 owners (and some disgruntled ones), can you comment on the flying characteristics of the CMP model?

Looking at the number I see that the GP has a lighter wing loading (GP -> 71 gr / dm2 vs CMP 78-82gr / dm2) that's almos ten grams extra per square decimeter, even though the CMP Model is lighter that the Great Planes ( CMP -> 2.5 ~2.65 kg vs GP-> 2.7 Kg) I guess that the extra wingspan from the GP help a lot ( GP-> 65.5" vs CMP 63")

Thanks for your inputs

Vinny
Old 11-02-2004, 02:23 AM
forestroke

magyarbacsi - the plane was scale flying with the 61rfs. That means that it wouldn't be able to do larger loops. It would just lose steam at the top of the loop and fall from the sky. I'm sure the 46 and 61 both have enough power for the plane.

jvloyola - i don't know the gp version but the CMP was a joy to fly. like i said, i would buy another one if i could! ground handling and flying are both extremely stable and easy to control. In regards to the wing loading, one time my friend had a dead engine and tried to make it back to the runway... we glided past the entire runway and cartwheeled in the dirt. Damage? Almost none. Back flying after 30 minutes.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
j_chulski

i got a cessna 182 by CMP for my birthday i havent had any problems building it. I takeoff and land on grass i dont know about you but i had to take off the whell pans because it wouldnt taxi, when i takeoff it tends to want to nose over so i raised the nose and it wanted to takeoff to early and i always put it in a stall so as i am takeing off i have to hold down elevator just to keep it from takeing off on its own, if you fly on grass it is really hard to control because it tends to bounce around ALOT but once you get it in the air it flys very nice extremely stable. lands very nice if you can overcome the bouncyness of landing on grass other than that it is a very nice plane, very sturdy design.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jvloyola

Hi I'm currenlty considering between the Great Planes and the CMP Cessna 182, I've searched the forums and there's not a lot of feed back on the CMP whereas there are a lot of happy GP 182 owners (and some disgruntled ones), can you comment on the flying characteristics of the CMP model?

Looking at the number I see that the GP has a lighter wing loading (GP -> 71 gr / dm2 vs CMP 78-82gr / dm2) that's almos ten grams extra per square decimeter, even though the CMP Model is lighter that the Great Planes ( CMP -> 2.5 ~2.65 kg vs GP-> 2.7 Kg) I guess that the extra wingspan from the GP help a lot ( GP-> 65.5" vs CMP 63")

Thanks for your inputs

Vinny

WHAAT?

There are a LOT of threads on the CMP Cessna here.

Check out this thread for one: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5146108/anchors_5146108/mpage_1/key_CMP%252CCessna/anchor/tm.htm#5146108]Click me![/link]
And this one: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6065502/anchors_6065502/mpage_1/key_CMP%252CCessna/anchor/tm.htm#6065502]Click me Too![/link]

If you were to see the Great Planes version next to the CMP version, you wouldn't even consider the GP version. It's that good, although you do need to replace some of the included hardware...

The CMP one is a much more scale like plane. Check out the pics on those threads.

The CMP does have a heavier wing loading and it flies in a more scale like fashion so is is NOT suitable for a beginner.

Scale Cessna's will tip stall.