Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NEW ARF 60-90 4STROKE

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NEW ARF 60-90 4STROKE

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:30 PM
jbhampton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW ARF 60-90 4STROKE

I want to buy a great Extra 300, Stinger 60 ARF or similar aircraft. What is out there that I should consider?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:48 PM
rcjon

Default RE: NEW ARF 60-90 4STROKE

Glad you put up this post. I'm always dreaming of my next plane and I've been looking for something between .40 and 33% in a scale/semiscale aerobatic plane. Particularly something that matches up with a Saito 100 4 banger. Doesn't seem to be many choices. I'm looking at the Kangke CAP 232 (http://www.kangkeusa.com) but don't know much about the company or the plane.

I'll be watching this thread to see what suggestions you get.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Spaceclam

i would highly reccomend the ys 110. if you want unlimited vertical for unlimited aerobatics, this is the engine for you. is has a bit more power than a saito 120, but has quicker throttle response and has the best idle there is. mine will idle at 1800 rpm, inverted, without ever loading up. the system they use has the idle adjustment seperate from the transition so you can lean it out enough to where it will idle inverted indefinatly, and never, ever load up on you.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:05 PM
rcjon

Where did you ever get the idea that this thread was about what your recommended engine is?

jbhampton started the thread inquiring a new mid-range ARF airplane.

I'm interested in a "60 size" scale/semi scale aerobatic plane to put a Saito 100 (that I already own) in.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Spaceclam

oops, you are right. sorry. misread.
if you are interested in 3d, i would reccomend the 68" yaik 54 from extreme flight. the quality is un-believable. it truly tops all other arf oferings. you never see doved tail joints in arfs, but you see them in the EF yak. You never see an entire set of du-bro hardware included in an arf, but you find it in the EF yak. You rarely find an arf with interlocking plywood parts, but you find them in the EF yak. i could go on. the saito 100 will work, but it wont have a whole lot of power. on 30% you will have enough left to pull out of a hover. it looks just like the full scale yak. you can catch them here at www.extremeflightrc.com
also, if you are not into 3d but want an extra specifically, i would HIGHLY and i mean HIGHLY reccomend the 64" extra from TDL model systems. I know the owner personally, He did some custom foam shaping for me. While the edtra is only $168, (cheaper than even the vmars) it has some serious quality to it. pull-pull on all the surfaces, the cowl is great, wheelpants are nice and light, all laser cut interlocking parts, just a great arf all around. you can find them here at http://www.tdlmodels.com/
whatever you get though, do NOT get a vmar. they are heavy, crappy, heavy, below substandard hardware, heavy, worst covering in the business and did i mention heavy? their covering is really poor. the color comes off with fuel oil and even rubbing alcohol so you get wierd streaks where you wipe excess epoxy. i dont know what wood they use but it is not balsa or ply, it is really heavy, weak, and it warps like crazy. they are so cheap that the aluminum engine mount that came with it had seams that did not match up that went down the mounting lugs, and were as far as 1mm off. the holes were tapped incorrectly and at an angle. just dont get one whatever you do.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Crash Master

Just a thought, but have ya'll look at the [link=http://www.vectorflight.com]VectorFlight[/link] models? These are inexpensive and very well-built planes with excellent customer support that no other manufacturer can come close to touching. Currently they have a 66" Extra 300S and a 66" Edge 540 going for $159.95 each.

If you're interested, do a search here on RCU to see what owners have to say.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Vectorflight%3A_Take_a_look%21/m_2215282/tm.htm]Here's[/link] a current one running in the ARF's forum just to get you started.

Good luck,
Old 10-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Spaceclam

the vector flight models are very good, i have seen them. i think you would be happy with those, if you chose them.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
rcjon

Spaceclam,

Sorry I was short with you in my previous post. I was in a bad mood and it seems to happen a lot here that folks reply to messages that they haven't read very well.

Thanks for your advice on planes. Very informative.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Spaceclam

good times man, i was not upset or anything. no worries here. i had actually read the post, but for whatever reason, my brain must have kicked into thermal shutdown or something. it happens from time to time.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:32 PM
Hawk-i

I've recently researched for the same type plane. I chose the Pacific Aeromodel Edge 540T 60/100 size (65 in wingspan). It cost a good deal more than the Vector models but I chose Pacific because of the dual elevator servos and the good reviews on RCU, etc. I'm building the Edge as I write this and plan to try my new .82 Saito on it first and have a 100 Saito (pacific recommends) that I may try also. I expect it to build about a 2 lbs heavier than my Funtana 40 which had the 82 Saito on it. The Edge is better constructed than the F 40. Its built just like the big scale gassers with plug in wings, hatch access, and pull pull rudder, etc. Give it a serious look.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:32 PM
ICE_MAN

Any one seen The BME cap 232? The wingspan is 63" I believe.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:46 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 2nd the PAC Aero birds, awesome quality and fly great. They are a great choice.

Clam also has a great suggestion with the EF Yak, only issue for some is the price, but you do get what you pay for

BME aircraft have nt had enough time to get the word around on them so I have no knowledge on their quality or flight characteristics.

VF have awesome planes for insane prices, I had one and loved it! I have been loking for an excuse to get the 66" version for months now but time, space and other planes in frnt demand attention

I recently got a look at the new Hobbico Sukhoi and it looks sharp, looks like a nice candidate for a 90 four stroke

Also consider the UCANDO as an alternative, their prices have dropped and might be of consideration.

good luck with your decision, whatever you choose make sure you HAVE FUN!!!

matt
Old 11-01-2004, 09:20 PM
geebob
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Guys, Took the guts out of my worn out 4*60 and put them in the Hobbico Sukhoi and put the first flight on it today. Took off in about 30 feet and was smooth and stable at all speeds. The quality of the kit was great and the fiberglass cowl was a nice touch. The only mistake I made was replacing the trusty 13x6 with a 15x4 and it was too much prop for my old OS 91 4 stroke. I'm gonna go back to the old prop and can't wait for another pretty day to really start wringing it out. I'm not into 3D but I'm really looking forward to seeing how far this plane will go.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2004, 09:01 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/P-51Mustang_68.htm My Choice
Old 11-02-2004, 10:28 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

If you can find a Model Tech Sukhoi SU-29 ARC that is pretty much and awsome plane. This plane does everything so gracefully.

I have one with a S-100 and it performs great.

anyways just my toughts

If you do find one an don't want it I'll take it
Old 11-03-2004, 03:04 PM
cap10jaf

EVFAST,

Will it do four point rolls on the deck and inverted passes six inches above the runway? Mine does. [X(]

G
Old 03-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Flare

Check out the write up on my first flight of the Hobbico Sukhoi

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21...tm.htm#2701832