Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Y/A F-15 project....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Y/A F-15 project....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Googaliser

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Y/A F-15 project....

After a year of following this site, I finally took the plunge. Two very large boxes arrived last thursday.... containing my brand new F-15. I can't remember being so excited since I was a kid... Despite having read in detail various builds, I now realise that I will be stretching my construction ability (I haven't built a model for about 5years - let alone a jet). The plan is to make it as scale as possible
I will post my progress on this thread with photos. Any help or advice along the way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to members of this forum - without your enthusiasm and passion for this hobby - I would never have re-ignited my interest in what must be one of the most exciting hobbies out there.

Marc
Old 11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Y/A F-15 project....

Not gunna be very hard to make it scale. Its almost there right outta the box. There are certaain things that you could do to increase the realism, but if you havent built in 5 years i would stick to the basics and make it a great flier. My bud wayne is nearing the end of his build and it is totally scale. See his post. His screenname is p-38j. Later, Nick
Old 11-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes The YA F15 is certainly very scale right out of the box.A very nicely done kit with lots of detail-especially down to the carbon inlay in the wings,surfaces & fuse.I think (my opinion at least) that it is quite a bit more scale looking than the SM .One of the very unique scale details on the Yellow F15 is the Vulcan cannon & very scale looking exhaust -bad ass!! My buddy Joey is almost done with mine-just down to glassing of the surfaces now moreless.I would not have even begun to touch the buildjob on this jet myself,there is quite a bit of building & knowledge that goes into this kit and I feel its better lefti n the hands of a pretty exprienced builder

Also if you plan to build it as strong as a tank like we did you are gonna go thry alot of Hysol!! Joey went thru almost 4 full tubes on my F15.But then again he used it for everything right down to the wing spars & speed brake housing.The YA F15's come out alot lighter than the SM too from what I hear.It is a noticeably larger jet too ,the gear is also very scale-awesome stuff right down to the dual nose lights!!.Planning to go as far as a lifting canopy & nav lights on mine .Will have a full body Blue Box pilot & a nicely done cockpit as well.Have Aeroloft transfers for mine too which are very nice .Joey is planning to put the pics up very soon for those interested

regards,Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Googaliser

It is very scale out of the box - you're both right. It almost looks like a 1/32nd Tamiya kit. The lifting canopy and landing lights are on my list too. Once the stabilit arrives I will start building. What control surface servos are people using on this jet? My radio is futaba. Can I use the JR8411s (recommended by Y/A) with my futaba RX or do I need to get some high torque futaba servos - the S9351s? Marc
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

My F15 will have as follows:

Jetcat P120
Tams pipe
Centerline external fuel tank
Bullpup missles & sparrows
Panel lines ,rivet detail & lots of weathering thruout
working nav lights

Servo list as follows:

Elv-JR 8411's
Rudders-Hitec mg 625
Ails-hitec mg 645
Flaps- Hitec mg 645
Steering-Hitec 645 with Futaba 240 Gyro
Gear- UP2 & UP4 valves -scale doors
Brakes- UP6 valve
Dorsal speed brake- JR 537

And yes you can safely use any servo with a Futaba RX.I will be buddy boxing mine for quite some time until I am ready to get my Waiver

Regards,Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Marc-

Don't use Stabilit on this!! I know the instructions call for it, but that's only because that used to be the standard adhesive for polyester kits sold by Y/A. Stabilit will work on this kit, but it's far too expensive and difficult to use when compared to standard epoxies. I recommend Hysol for the build. I'd use 30-minute epoxy on the wing spars and stabilator pivot blocks, but hysol for everything else.

Enjoy your build! Let me know if you have questions or need help. I was the very first to fly this new kit and I love it!
Old 11-02-2004, 05:37 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Hey Shaun,
Hav'nt heard from ya in awhile, still performing up here? Anyway, I'm getting mid through my build on the F15 and have to say it's been a easy build. I test ran my P120 and with tams pipe it's awesome! 125,400 rpms..should be great for the plane. I'm doing the traditional Luke AF red and white striped scheme and have complete scale lighting in the bird including both front light's and inboard red nav's as well as rudder's , it rock's..well feels like christmas when I turn it on! Hey I just saw the paint scheme for the Tiger meet F15's pretty lame looking wish that was nicer because that would different. Take care and hope to see you at BofW

Glad to see everyone is working on their F15's!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:12 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Hey Kevin! Glad to here the build is going well!
Old 11-03-2004, 06:07 AM
flyrcjets

Hey Kenny,
Thanks!..How about you?..what's up ?....I gotta try and make BofW with something! Kevin
Old 11-03-2004, 08:37 PM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Kevin!

Glad to see the F-15 is getting closer to being done! Can't wait to see her in person all lit up. Thanks again for the "Donor" parts at Fresno []

Hey Kenny! Hope all is going well, been thinking about you and the family a lot lately. Just got the raw footage from the local TV station, from the Woodland event, you and your Hornet are on it in the pits [&o]. So what IS the next project? I hope to start working on a Super Hornet after new years.....(hint, hint, Tam)

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-04-2004, 01:22 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Hey Mark!!

Sent you a PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:23 AM
flyrcjets

Mark dude what's up?!! Yeah this plane is going to be sweet! I might hit you up for some info on the paint scheme. I've been doing so much little weird stuff to it , like that nose gear steering unit I did, that it's been a lot more fun then usual..OK Kenny so you gonna tell us all ..WHAT's UP?!
Ok guy's hope to see ya at LA..do'nt think I'll be much around till then.. Kevin
Old 11-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Googaliser

Thanks Shaun and others for the advice & info. I've tooled-up with (plenty of) Hysol - giving both the 9460F and the 9462 a go. Building will start tonight. Not quite sure whats going on though - I have no interest in going out and partying this weekend - Instead I will be spending it working on a bird in the spare bedroom - and not in the usual sense either
Old 11-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Googaliser

Work finally started today.... Bonded the nose to the fuselage. Next steps are to dremel most of the flanges away and glass them. Any additional tips here? This joint still worries me a bit re. strength....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16917.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	190749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32024.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	190750  
Old 11-07-2004, 07:59 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

On mine I sanded the area lightly and used Z-poxy mixed with milled fiberglass to form a very thick paste along the joint, before it cured I laid a thin strip of 2oz glass or it and brushed a straight mix of z-poxy or that. As long as you don't get carried away the joint will be both light and extremely strong.