Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

-Kangaroo question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

-Kangaroo question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:23 PM
teg-1
My Feedback: (336)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -Kangaroo question

Need to know if anybody has flown one and what they have thought about it.
Grass field, 12 lb turbine, good or bad please before $ are spent.
Thanks..............JOHN
Old 11-02-2004, 09:04 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: -Kangaroo question

[sm=thumbup.gif] Very good! use the speed brake , good retracts and a good 12 lbs turbine and you can't go wrong. Also read all the internet tips in landing and flying the roo in the past 6 years!

Regards, Enrique
Old 11-03-2004, 10:15 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: heli4me

Need to know if anybody has flown one and what they have thought about it.
Grass field, 12 lb turbine, good or bad please before $ are spent.
Thanks..............JOHN
If you fly it off a grass field with a true 12 lb turbine, it better be a long grass field! The one I've seen with a Wren MW-54 took quite a bit of runway on concrete although once up, it flew OK (vertical will not be spectacular).

Bob
Old 11-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may differ from one Kangaroo version to another, but on the one that I built I found the gear mounts to be totally inferior. A grass field will add to the toll that the mounts have to absorb, so you might want to consider redoing them. That's a little easier said than done since the mounts are already installed in the aircraft, but with some patience and ingenuity you can resolve the issue.

Gordon
Old 11-03-2004, 12:16 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85177.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	189514  
Old 11-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Glorfindel

I flew mine from a not so good grass field with a Mw54 wich is a true 12-13lbs engine at 15.5lbs dry + 1.85L of fuel = about 19lbs for take off. It roll about 250-300' to take off....Look at the vids : http://www.profweb.qc.ca/cperron/ it's the Roo2 Maiden video...

Great combo. Dont forget that the Roo was made for a 10pounds engine and was heavier than the Roo2...So Roo2 and 12pounds engine is great...

For some reason, since about a years or two, people MUST have high trust to weight ratio...It's like you cannot fly if you dont have a 2:1 ratio....the p120 was a great engine for most of the plane, now stronger engine are out and some people say : 'dont fly that with a p120 it's not enough' It's funny to see that engine was 'great' for a given plane and now it's not true anymore 'cause bigger engine are out..go figure...
Old 11-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A lightly built Kangaroo will fly just fine off of a grass field. We proved this several years ago with Richard’s first turbine plane. We took a regular Roo kit and lowered the turbine (then a RAM 500), ala Hot Spot. I emphatically insisted that Richard build it light (he Monokoted everything instead of glassing). It worked out very well. I used to fly it off of our 400 foot medium-rough grass filed regularly. This weekend, Scott Luna asked me to maiden his brand new Roo with an MW-54 Mark III (14 lbs of thrust, I think) off of pavement. It went very well and flew great. He too lowered the engine like Richard’s. Scott’s is not the original Roo but the ARF kit. I am not certain (perhaps some of you know) but I think they may have moved the main gear forward, closer to the CG. When taxing back, at the end of a flight, the Roo would sometimes fall on it’s *****. This, of course, keeps weight off of the nose fear during takeoff (combined with the lower thrust line) to prevent Roo squirrliness and allows a quicker rotation (will assist BIG TIME in grass field ops). I have little doubt that Scott's plane would get off of a rough grass field in 200 feet. Keep it light!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 07:58 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A interesting feature of the roo is if it you install a 20 lbs+ thrust engine, the take off runs are of equal lenght or longer than a small (12 Lbs) turbine roo... this happens because of the high thrust line of this plane. the stronger engine makes the plane harder to rotate and point the nose up so the advantage of a faster acceleration is cancelled because it is harder to rotate and more take off speed is needed , also this stronger engine makes landings longer too and more difficult because of the higher residual thrust. (at least for the less experienced pilots)...

Rgds, Enrique
Old 11-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Glorfindel

Like i said mine is 15.5 Dry. 1 servos per elevons. 2 Jr Extra 6V 1100mah pack + one 3 cells (3.6V) 1100mah for fuel pump, my Wren is hand start. I have the Big (heavy)Robart 630 with strut on it. So if you put lighter landing gears and LiPo cell you should be able to take down some weight, maybe 1 to 1.5 pounds...

As you see in the vids, it will take off in less than 300' even on a not so good grass field.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

My first Roo was 13lbs dry with at RAM750 tuned down to 13lbs thrust. It would fly off of grass in about 300 feet no problem. The person who bought it from me put over 400 flights on his as I understand it, not sure what engine he used though.