Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Questions for a GP skybolt

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Questions for a GP skybolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 12:46 AM
sldfajlksadf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for a GP skybolt

I am getting excited about flying this plane. It took me 2 years to finish. I spent 6 months working weekends and the rest with off and on construction. I have been lazy building it. Now that I have finished I am wondering about flight characteristics.

Will the elevator on low rate cause it to snap? How are the rates?

Is the G90 powerful enough?

How much did your's weigh? Did it come out nose heavy?

Did you like how it flew?

Does it take more skill to fly than a cap 232? Somebody let me fly theirs. I took off, did some manuevers and landed.

I hear it is a spunky plane and can not wait to fly it.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:02 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Me to , I'l be there to watch and I'll bring my Ultimate Bipe.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:22 AM
sldfajlksadf

Paul, I want serious replies. If this post gets side tracked than I won't get any answers. Some of these questions will help me when flying it. Why don't you put your grudge behind you.

To stay on topic. I tested out the G90 engine on this plane and I was nearly blown away. I think I shold richen both ends because it seems like these super tigers want to run hot even with 10% fuel.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:39 AM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by sldfajlksadf
Paul, I want serious replies. If this post gets side tracked than I won't get any answers. Some of these questions will help me when flying it. Why don't you put your grudge behind you.

To stay on topic. I tested out the G90 engine on this plane and I was nearly blown away. I think I shold richen both ends because it seems like these super tigers want to run hot even with 10% fuel.
"Why don't you put your grudge behind you" ???

Why do you feel the g90 is running hot? I would run it rich enough to produce good power until it's broken in.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:47 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

The plane is not snappy at all. It will fly till it stalls then drop like a brick. It should not snap at any low rate elevator setting. I have a saito 120 in mine and it weighs 10 lbs. A g90 should fly it fine. It flies great, snaps on command pretty well (not like a cap though). Does a great inverted flat spin. If the motor flames out get it down quick. Milking out a bipe is not something you want to do. They drop quickly when power is eased to idle. It torque steers to the left like a cub on takeoff if power is applied to quickly. Rudder is very effective. Knife edge requires a lot of cross aileron to hold. Landings arent tough but you must allow for a quick sink rate keeping a bit of throttle at the ready. mine balanced perfectly with a saito 120
Old 08-15-2002, 01:12 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with everything smallfly said. I have a YS 91AC in mine and it flys it with authority! I can't say how much it weighs, but it IS on the heavy side, plus I have the additional weight of a smoker.

If you would like to see videos of it in action, go to:

http://12.31.143.32

The pics you can just click on, but the vids you'll have to download in order to play them.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:57 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flew my GP Super Skybolt with a ST 90 for a season and a half, untill I sold it to my buddy and he put an OS 108 in it! When it had the 90 it was a REALLY docile handling plane, easy to take off, land and flew around like a pattern plane, reallY! Goes where you point it and had not one bad habit. To land I would go right to idle and just let it glide in, very easy and would slow down pretty well. I did find the stock LG would splay out even when set down easy, so I put a wire spreader with some rubber O rings to stiffen them up but still allow spring. Inverted and upright spins, snaps, the usuall stuff all OK and nice to do. The only thing I wish it had more ground clearance for the prop, as we fly off rough and It would sometimes catch the prop. With the 108 I see my buddy fly like its a new plane, unlimited vertical, super fast and yet it is still a *****cat at low speed. It looks like a hard plane to fly but it is not. Thats my input! I cant remember the total weight, but mine was covered in monokote and had a FG cowl, and otherwise stock.

AJC
Old 08-16-2002, 12:00 AM
sldfajlksadf

I guess I shouldn't be too nervous about flying it.

The maxamum weight that Gp has it at is 9.5 pounds. Mine is over 10 pounds. Maybe 10.5 at the most. It is hard to say when you don't have an accurate scale. Mine was more nose heavy than I would like. I hear they usually come out nose heavy unless you have a big engine. From what I hear the Gp skybolt does build over 10 pounds.

I set the throws according to the manual . I just thought the elevator would snap. I guess not.

I heard it does flat spins very well . That is the only other trick I really want to do.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're looking to do the most incredible flat spins ever, THIS is the airplane!

Here's what to do. First, adjust the rudder throw to it's max (so that it is almost hitting the elevator). Then, make sure you're not nose-heavy.

Now, just take it up and GET ALTITUDE! Do a half-loop to inverted, then just point both sticks to the antenna (Full throttle, Full right rudder, Full Left aileron, Full down elevator)

It will take about 3 spins before it really flattens out, but remember to pull out early until you get the feel for how much room you need to pull out.

To pull out of it, just let the sticks go to neutral, and let it drop straight down to build it's airspeed back up (hence the pulling out early) It takes a bit more room to pull out of a flat spin than it does to pull out of a regular spin.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:02 AM
sldfajlksadf

That sounds about right. I thought I would go into a dive first and then do the controls instead of a loop.

Thanks for telling me how to do one.

I also watched that video of the flat spin. I thought they would look a little different. I mean go strait down instead of spiraling.

Paul, why don't you talk about your skybolt.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:19 AM
Furyflyer2

Well my SkyBolt is ready to fly , it weighs only 9lbs with a YS 91 and slimline muffler. I have to fuel tank close to the CG and all servo mounted towards the back.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:21 PM
sldfajlksadf

How long did it take you to paint that cowl? Probably just as long as it took me to put in my super tigre 90 with the pitts muffler.