Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Blindnuts.....how to install ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Blindnuts.....how to install ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 06:28 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blindnuts.....how to install ?

what is the best way to install blindnuts when you can not reach at all with your fingers or other tools ?
I have tried by attaching a pushrod and bending a hook on the end, but when you finally have the blindnut where it is supposed to be, the damn thing always fells of (well 90% of the time) when inserting the screw.
If you have any good tips let me know
Thanks
Old 08-16-2002, 06:30 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

I use curved tipped hemostats. It does stretch the metal so all it is good for after that is putting in blind nuts, but it does works.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:43 PM
Matt-RCU

Tough one. I use very long needle nose pliers to hold and get the nut into position and carefully try to thread the bolt into it. Just keep on trying!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:06 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You might try reaming the hole slightly, so the nut will nearly seat itself. Then take your wire that you used before, instead of bending a hook type thingy, put a wheel collar on it, so you can get even pressure on it to seat your blind-nut. Then "GENTLY insert the screw until it threads. Hope this might help.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, make sure the hole is drilled to the right size, same as the outside diameter of the threaded part of the well nut. Now get some threaded rod of the proper thread. Put it thru the hole, turn it into the wellnut and then; on the other side of the piece you are mounting it on, put a flat washer and a nut. Tighten down the nut and draw the well nut up into the hole. Try to put a little slow epoxy on the well nut before you insert it into the hole--just don't get any into the threadied area. Now remove the nut and back out the threaded rod.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:42 AM
HRay

Default How I Did It

I had that problem with my Ultra Stick 120. What I did was put a small piece of servo tape on the end of a balsa stick that was about 5/16" X 5/16". I believe it was the supplied stock for the pushrods. I then stuck the blind nut on the end of it with a little medium CA around the flange, and fished it up through the tank compartment. When I could see the blind nut in the firewall hole I threaded in the motor mount bolt. This idea worked a lot better than I thought it would.
Take care,
Mike
Old 08-18-2002, 07:44 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The other option that I have used on many occassion's is to obtain a piece of Tread All the proper size. Thread all comes in various lenghts but I have found the 12 inch one to be just great. Just push the tread all trough the hole, attach the blind nut and pull it snug into it's hole, or you can get the proper size nut and run it down the thread all with a washer behind it and seat the blind nut once and for all. I have done this a number of times and never had any problems. Good Luck Dave
Old 08-19-2002, 09:18 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I do the same thing as DavidAgar but don't use all-thread - just regular pushrods. Pull the blind nut into the hole, wiggle it 'till it seats, unscrew the pushrod then *gently* thread in the bolt.