Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extra SFG's on Tensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 AM
marmitas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra SFG's on Tensors

Hello George!

I noticed the kit tensors that all the Horizon crew was flying this last weekend..... only had the standard wing strut style SFGs..... and did not have the ones on the upper and lower wing outside the strut like in some of your previous planes and particularly the one Mark Leesberg was wheeling all around sin city in the last 3d mag.

Can you talk about the effects of these "extra" sfgs...and how the plane behaves with and without them.

After watching the Tensors fly....I was so impressed by the almost non-existant appearance of pitch change during rolling, point rolling and KE flight.

The proto for the 260 was dialed too! I have a short video of Jason Knoll shredding up the dome.

Awesome to talk with you...and it was an honor to check out your construction techniques.

George Rodriguez
Rochester NY

p.s. stay tuned for my Knuffel squared...the Nubel design..... in a bi-plane config featuring Hicks inspired SFGs.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:35 AM
GRH

Default RE: Extra SFG's on Tensors

Hey George...great to hear from you. I really enjoyed our talk at the JR Indoor Festival. It's guys like you that make writing this stuff worth the trouble. Having said that I'm off to bed. I'll answer your questions tomorrow. The extra SFG's were simply an idea that Mark and I wanted to try.

Jason Noll is the man when it comes to demoing an airplane...he's one of my favorite pilots to watch fly. I'm amazed every time. I could watch Jason Noll, Mark Leseberg, and John Glezellis flying all day long. They're all so awesome!

Thanks again

George
Old 11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
GRH

Hey George,
Sorry for the late reply. It's been a really rough week for me. My college roommate passed away after a short illness at the age of 31...I didn't find out about it until I got back from Columbus on Monday. His name was Darwyn Ausbon and he was a flight test engineer on the Osprey tilt-rotor vehicle out at Edwards AFB. Darwyn was one of my closest friends...this tragedy has put so much in perspective for me and it really makes you appreciate the time you have with your friends and family. I always thought he'd be around forever...he was such an optimist and so full of life. Darwyn wasn't an R/C modeler but he loved airplanes like all of us do. Anyone reading this please take a moment and say a prayer for Darwyn, his wife Kristen, and his family.

I've attached a picture of Darwyn and myself right before finishing graduate school at Mississippi State.

As for the extra fences on the SFG's on Mark Leseberg's airplane...they were simply an experiment to obtain more side force at high sideslip angles and see what if anything happened to the roll coupling at high sideslip angles. From Mark's flight report the difference between the two was negligible other than perhaps the side force was increased a bit.

Keep me informed on how the Knuffle goes...my buddy Jon Leyland calls it the waffle...now the double waffle

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69146.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	192426  
Old 11-12-2004, 01:22 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

George,

Wow. Really sorry to hear that. You are so right about appreciating the important stuff.
We are in St. Louis right now visiting my neice. It's been a rough week since I told you about her last weekend.

Sh'ell be ok. Just going to be a long road.

Sorry again about your buddy.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:57 PM
RobertV

George,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. You're right, it does alert us to just how precious life, family, and friends really are.........

Robert
Old 11-12-2004, 07:27 PM
marmitas
My Feedback: (1)

So sorry to hear about the loss of your bro. Friendships sometimes create an indescribable bond that is different than family....equally strong...but different...because we choose or friends.
My most sincere condolences.
I drew this Sunday....and my Father cleaned it up on a-cad.

maybe call it Inspiration.
Be well
G-Rod
Old 11-17-2004, 06:19 AM
GRH

Hey George...Sorry for the late reply. Last week was a tough one.

I appreciate your kind words and your insights on friends...I agree totally.

The airplane looks awesome...let me know how it flies.

Later Bro,
G