Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

proper motor brake-in???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:36 AM
GEEBEEPILOT
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper motor brake-in???

I'm new to R/C Cars and would like to know, What is the RIGHT way to brake-in an electric motor?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:43 AM
aliens8mycow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: proper motor brake-in???

About the simplest way is to hook up two D-cell batteries in series (like they go in a flashlight), hook them up to the motor, and let it run until the batteries are dead. Once it's broken in, you'll need to clean the brushes and commutator with a comm stick and put a drop of motor oil on the bearing/bushing at each end of the motor.

If you have a 3 or 4 volt DC power supply, that will work just the same and save you the cost of batteries.

If you don't have the power supply and don't want to waste batteries so quickly, you can do the same thing, but submerge the motor in water while it's breaking in (it will NOT shock you) - it only takes about 1 1/2 minutes, and you can then use the batteries 3 or 4 times before they're dead.