Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to cover a solid surface?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to cover a solid surface?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:17 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to cover a solid surface?

Quick question...I'm covering a model with monokote that is part balsa and part fiber glass. I'm wondering if I can use coverites quick stik or balsa rite, etc on the solid glassed surface and just apply my monokote accordingly? I thought about using trim sheets but it is more difficult to get toconform to the compound curves. If i have to I'll cover up to the f/g with monokote, and paint the rest, but as I want to do a multiple color sheme I would rather the entire area look seemless in one type of finish. Any thoughts?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to cover a solid surface?

I'd try the balsarite at the points on the glass where I expect the edges of the film sheets to be, and let it heat shrink to fit between these lines.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

This may or may not help, but I thought I'd pass it along.

I bought a Combat model that had a foam wing. The kit maker suggested covering the wing with Monokote, Coverite, SolarFilm etc. but mentioned this may be difficult.

So, first they suggested covering the wing with 3M 77 contact cement, then apply news print, then ironing on the plastic covering onto the news print - this allows any bubbles under the covering to be easily removed and made covering very easy.

I found this worked well.

I had a little problem finding the news print at first, but found it at Staple, Basics and printers. It is also used for large hanging presentation pads for boardroom presentations. You could also use regular newspaper, but I was worried about the printing showing through.

Hope this helps,

Wayne Miller
Old 11-11-2004, 12:56 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
If you had used Oracover (Ultracoat in the US) you would have had no problem what so ever.
Monokote is a little bit harder to get to stick to fiberglass though.
Never ever use Balsarite or any of that stuff on a fiberglassed surface or over any other surface for that matter...it isn't necessary.... just sand the surface smooth and apply the filmcovering.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69341.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	192131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35288.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	192132