Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Weight Challenge, extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Weight Challenge, extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 05:44 AM
cosmospho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Challenge, extra 300

Ok every1 here goes a challenge. Have a .60 size extra that I wrongfully bought all made of plywood which weighs 9.25 pounds on an empty tank. I think its mighty heavy and by the way it flies sluggish as a truck I shouldn't need to ask if its too heavy.... is it ?

So here is the challenge, how to get the weight down without destroying the plane, the wing is foam covered in thin sheet of wood.
I am however remaking the wing since it cracked..... Should I make it ribbed or keep it foam ? What are other ways of getting the weight down ?? Thought of going crazy and sanding down the thick plywood fuse walls.... This plane has no balsa and is an absolute tank with wings :-)..... Think of also sanding down the firewall which is very thick.... Any crazy ideas ??

Should I just give up on the plane ?? I'm experienced in flying but new to building.......

Well thanx for all the help...
Cosmos
Old 11-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weight Challenge, extra 300

if its all plywood theres really nothing you can do sanding will weaken the wood and it will crack fix the foam wing and fly it or hang it up to look at you'd have to take three pounds out to get within range of a sixty size engine
Old 11-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Weight Challenge, extra 300

You're taking this thing as a challenge, right? I've spent lots of time messing with my original Sturdy Birdy, just to show the darn thing I could fly it, and I must say, it was time wasted.

If you really must respond to this as a self-challenge, fix the wing as is, and strip the covering from the fuselage. Make large holes where no structure is necessary (better ask a builder friend, after you strip the covering) and recover. You might use a military covering theme, because you won't take enough out of your plane to let it fly like other Extras.

Enjoy, it though. Actually, since you've been able to fly it (since you say it flies like a sluggish truck) you might as well just fly it and enjoy it the way it is. Then get a lightweight plane for your aerobatics.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: cosmospho

Ok every1 here goes a challenge. Have a .60 size extra that I wrongfully bought all made of plywood which weighs 9.25 pounds on an empty tank. I think its mighty heavy and by the way it flies sluggish as a truck I shouldn't need to ask if its too heavy.... is it ?

So here is the challenge, how to get the weight down without destroying the plane, the wing is foam covered in thin sheet of wood.
I am however remaking the wing since it cracked..... Should I make it ribbed or keep it foam ? What are other ways of getting the weight down ?? Thought of going crazy and sanding down the thick plywood fuse walls.... This plane has no balsa and is an absolute tank with wings :-)..... Think of also sanding down the firewall which is very thick.... Any crazy ideas ??

Should I just give up on the plane ?? I'm experienced in flying but new to building.......

Well thanx for all the help...
Cosmos